Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Self-defense insurance? Case examples?

I've been looking into self-defense insurance, finding no actual case examples of people who have had to use such a plan to see how well they did or didn't help. Are you aware of assessments like this? Any personal stories of having to use such a plan?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Self-defense insurance? Case examples?

I always felt that it could be used to give the implication that you had set out, intending to shoot someone.

Not something you want to face in a self defense trial if it came down to it..
    Last edited by icp4life162005; November 29th, 2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Clarification

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I always felt that would give the implication that you had set out, intending to shoot someone.

I have car insurance, health insurance, home owners insurance, life insurance. I certainly didn't purchase any of those with the intention to use them. With the exception of fraud, has 'having insurance' ever played a part in a court case like you're suggesting?

I don't have self defense insurance, however I can see being bankrupted as something you also wouldn't want to face in a self defense trial if it came down to it.

(Bucks County)

Typical of over-thinking. Setting out with the handgun already loaded is a sign of intent. Having it in a holster to make it readily accessible is a sign of intent. Having .357 cartridges in the chambers when the revolver will work with less powerful .38 special cartridges. Having night sights a sign of intent when venturing out at night.

Anyone have a head-banger icon?

(Bucks County)

Close questioning of the person selling the insurance is needed. I would linger on the fine print and ask for plain-English interpretation.

The insurances appear to be contingent on the insured being found not guilty or absolved of civil transgression in order to collect on legal expenses.

Be found guilty or court finds for plaintiff and no pay. There may be insurance that pays either way. Establish that before buying. If there is a chance the sales person is stretching the truth, get it in writing with signature on the insurance company's letterhead.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Baratheon View Post
    I've been looking into self-defense insurance, finding no actual case examples of people who have had to use such a plan to see how well they did or didn't help. Are you aware of assessments like this? Any personal stories of having to use such a plan?
    How do you decide? If the company providing the coverage pays the bills as contracted, they've done their part. Ideally, the coverage would yield a positive result, at no additional cost to the policy holder, but regardless of who pays the bill, there's no way to really know if a different lawyer would have done any better, in the event the defendant isn't happy with the outcome.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    I always felt that it could be used to give the implication that you had set out, intending to shoot someone.

This is going to give me Forrest Whittaker Eye

(Chester County)

Why do cops carry guns? Are they not setting out intending to shoot someone? Why do they carry multiple loaded high capacity mags, because they're looking for a gun battle. Why do they carry a second gun in a leg holster. After all, they are not suddenly attacked, they are notified AFTER THE CITIZEN IS ATTACKED FIRST!!

(Berks County)

We have had several USCCA members and never had an issue with them. They've always been very quick to get bail money out, as well as, money for attorneys and experts. Because of how quickly they make money available, we've been able to have an expert report before the preliminary hearing and utilized that report to get the DA to dismiss the charges. In some occasions, we were brought in early enough that we were able to dissuaded the DA from even filing charges. When comparing the different providers, make sure to see (1) whether they cover any lawful weapon or only a firearm (2) what the alcohol policy is (i.e. if you're at home, having a glass of wine and someone breaks in, are they going to disclaim coverage because you have alcohol in your system) and (3) do you get to pick your attorney
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

Could be bankrupted? Change that to WILL be bankrupted and you're closer to reality. USCCA.....CCWSafe.....ACLDN (Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network). Do you homework. Look 'em up. Attorney Prince is EXACTLY correct.

Attorney Prince, GunLawyer: any chance either or both of you would be willing to post up here a generic cost of a Self-Defense case, calculated from the time of the citizen's arrest, through the various stages of the legal pipeline, up to and including trial, retention of experts, etc. etc. and, in the worst case scenario, filing the Appeals? Might be instructive for folks on the fence of SD insurance.
    YMMV.

TB605

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast