Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Polymer 80 Glock build

So,

Midway USA was having a 1/2 off sale on old style Polymer 80 G19 frames (it actually went down to 75% for Black Friday, but I had already jumped). So I dove in and got an 80% frame in the jig kit... I started today, removed all of the excess polymer, and attached the metal slide portions. I used a Dremel, some sandpaper and a hand drill. Everything went right along pretty easily. I also got a slide they had on sale and the slide to frame fit is tight and workable. I now have to save to get the barrel and internals, kinda like building a model, with parts that are still on "layaway" ... Pretty fun, and relatively simple "so-far" ...

I am sorry, I am a putz, and didn't take photo's to document my progress. I will post more info as this project progresses. After all the pricing of parts involved, however, you could purchase a used Glock in excellent condition for the same price (or maybe even a new one on sale...), but building it and learning the process is half of the fun for me.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Polymer 80 Glock build

awesome! Hope we get to see the finished product
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Allegheny County)

wait until you add a 600 dollar slide, 200 in trigger upgrades a 400 dollar barrel and comp. let's not forget the 400 dollar rmr. it is easy to spend 2 grand building that dream glock.

(Lancaster County)

No $600 slides for me ! This is a "Glock" not a Wilson Combat 1911... Not so much a dream gun, hopefully just a decent shooter and learning experience ! LOL... 2 Grand in a Glock... That's funny to me ! I got a Swenson slide (on sale for $134) so currently have $204 invested in this... Figure $125 for the Swenson threaded barrel, $75 for lower parts, $50 for slide parts - that may be backwards...) then sights about $80 = $534 - then throw mags on top of that $40 for 2... DEFINITELY cheaper to buy used OR new... but like I said, the build is fun for me...
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    No $600 slides for me ! This is a "Glock" not a Wilson Combat 1911... Not so much a dream gun, hopefully just a decent shooter and learning experience ! LOL... 2 Grand in a Glock... That's funny to me ! I got a Swenson slide (on sale for $134) so currently have $204 invested in this... Figure $125 for the Swenson threaded barrel, $75 for lower parts, $50 for slide parts - that may be backwards...) then sights about $80 = $534 - then throw mags on top of that $40 for 2... DEFINITELY cheaper to buy used OR new... but like I said, the build is fun for me...

Yeah, sure. Wait until the next one. You are doing a "Gateway Build". First one is cheap. Just a hobby you say.
    2 or 3 from now you will be frustrated by the limited amount of custom colors and frustrated that despite endless amount of spring, connectors and polishing that you can't get the trigger pull below 1.1 lbs without affecting the reset.

(Lancaster County)

Duke,
    LOL you're probably right, thats exactly what happened with the damn AR's - to the point where I was giving them away to relatives because I had outgrown the perfectly good ones I had. Dangit ! Some guys rebuild sports cars... or motorcycles...

I'll let you know.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Dauphin County)

You're lucky to get a discount code from Midway Usa! I used to get all of my stuff from them, registered an account, got emails, but no coupons. I gave up getting my stuff from them after I realized I can get things cheaper from a friend of mine who has an FFL, through Brownell's.

That was a number of years ago, and now Brownell's is no longer inexpensive either- their FFL discount has pretty much (like 99%) gone away. Their email coupons are better then my friend's FFL. I haven't gotten any deals lately.

I'd love to put together a Polymer80 940SC, built like a G27 but with my G33 slide in .357Sig. Cobalt blue frame, Ceracoat the slide a dark red or magenta, and leave the barrel stainless; a red, white, and blue tribute carry gun... I just can't bring myself to pay $150 for a piece of polymer- but I would have jumped on that MidwayUsa deal!

They work well...I'm building one for my wife. I'm going to send off the slide to have it hard chromed as I think it will look good with the Robin Egg Blue frame.

I may do one for my G26 as I like the feel of the Poly80 compared to the factory Glocks.

If you decide to do an optic...take a look at the Holosun 507C as it has the same footprint as the RMR, but less money. I just ordered one last night for my wife's pistol for $270. I have a dual Illuminated RMR for my pistol and I like it, but if it's completely dark out, you are seen't anything. I do have suppressor sights as well.

I'm in the middle of two builds right now... Scooped up a Tif Blue -19 that I'm building for my wife. Waiting for lonewolf to finish the stainless slide. This one will be over the top...

I also grabbed a white p80 subcompact. I got the rmr brownells slide on sale. I'm running into an issue though. Without the barrel or spring on, the slide gets stuck to the frame when I slide it on. It will slide back and forth but the only way to remove it is by taking the pins out of the frame and removing the trigger assembly. Any idea what I screwed up? The cocking motion of the trigger isn't as easy/smooth as the 19 i built.

What trigger bar are you using on the subcompact frame? A gen 4 won't work if you are building a G26 as you will need a gen 3 trigger bar.

Also, did you polish the rear rail module? When I was building my first poly80...I watched a youtube vid where people would polish the rear rail module with dremel and polishing wheel. I used a polishing wheel with Fritz polish that I had and it worked like a charm. I wanted to make sure that all contact points with the slide was going to be burr-free.

Quote Originally Posted by blau iii View Post
    I'm in the middle of two builds right now... Scooped up a Tif Blue -19 that I'm building for my wife. Waiting for lonewolf to finish the stainless slide. This one will be over the top...

I also grabbed a white p80 subcompact. I got the rmr brownells slide on sale. I'm running into an issue though. Without the barrel or spring on, the slide gets stuck to the frame when I slide it on. It will slide back and forth but the only way to remove it is by taking the pins out of the frame and removing the trigger assembly. Any idea what I screwed up? The cocking motion of the trigger isn't as easy/smooth as the 19 i built.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast