Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default warrington discharge ordinance

i know that counties and townships cannot make any law prohibiting the possesion of firearms, but most places have ordinances against the discharge of said firearms. i was looking at the code for warrington, and it states the following:

"§102. Prohibitions.
    It shall be unlawful to discharge any firearm containing a metal case center fire shell or
    cartridge using a single projective of the high power, high velocity, high intensity type
    at any time within the limits of the Township of Warrington. Duly appointed police officers
    or game protectors are exempt from this regulation while performing their official
    duties. (Ord. 1-58, 10/6/1958, §2)
    "

now, does this mean that low power .22 rounds, rim fire rifles, and shotshells firing buck shot or bird shot would be acceptable? because thats what it says to me.
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: warrington discharge ordinance

That's very odd wording. When did this ordinance get passed?
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Bucks County)

if the numbers at the end of it there is a date, then 1958, lol

(Monroe County)

Well you picked Warrington. We used to fire guns up off Almshouse behind what is the prison.

§103. Exceptions.
    Said prohibition shall not apply to target practice conducted on a site and under the supervision
    of an adult or a responsible person over twenty-one (21) years of age. The site
    and supervision shall be approved in writing by the Board of Supervisors of said Township.
    Said approval, when granted, shall be subject to withdrawal at any time by said
    Board of Supervisors; however, no approval shall be for longer than one (1) year unless
    renewed. (Ord. 1-58, 10/6/1958, §3)

Bet they won't approve anyone either...

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by eells View Post
    i know that counties and townships cannot make any law prohibiting the possesion of firearms, but most places have ordinances against the discharge of said firearms. i was looking at the code for warrington, and it states the following:

"§102. Prohibitions.
    It shall be unlawful to discharge any firearm containing a metal case center fire shell or
    cartridge using a single projective of the high power, high velocity, high intensity type
    at any time within the limits of the Township of Warrington. Duly appointed police officers
    or game protectors are exempt from this regulation while performing their official
    duties. (Ord. 1-58, 10/6/1958, §2)
    "

now, does this mean that low power .22 rounds, rim fire rifles, and shotshells firing buck shot or bird shot would be acceptable? because thats what it says to me.
    These ordinances are fairly common. Several of the townships near Erie have similiar ordinances as does Erie itself.

As it was explained to me by my local sheriff this primarily addresses hunting with centerfire cartridges, so as to limit hunters to shotguns. It also provides another charge to be stacked against someone in an otherwise unjustified discharge of a gun. As he explained it, if you were involved in a justified self defense shooting this wouldn't apply.

Even my own neighborhood has such a rule. In fact no firearms are permitted to be fired within its boundaries. I've been trying to determine however if I could use a bow to harvest some of the deer eating out of the apple trees in my back yard. Of course the neighbors might not appreciate my tracking the blood trail through their yards or me field dressing it next to their house. Darn anti-hunters
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Indiana County)

A more modern ordinance would specifically mention an exemption for defense of one's life or life of another.

(Bucks County)

right, but self defence aside, does this mean that i can go into by backyard and, hypothetically, shoot an old computer with buckshot, if i wanted? could they get me on anything other than noise complaints?