Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Deer

(Montgomery County)

Default My First Deer

I took my first deer this morning at French Creek State Park in 5C. It was small doe that I hit toward the base of the neck with a 12 gauge rifled slug. She was probably about 30 yards away and dropped immediately, so I do feel good about the quick kill but I feel bad she was smaller/younger than I originally thought. Not as concerned about the amount of meat (I think it will still be plenty for my purposes), but rather the ethics. Oh well - she didn't suffer more than a few seconds from what I could see.

It's my second year hunting and last year I just got a few squirrels. Went out probably 6-7 times for deer in 5C and 5D late season, always in the morning but never saw anything. So this morning I didn't expect much of anything. Parked at about 05:45 and walked maybe 300 yards along a gravel road and into the woods with a slight slope in front of me and decent clearance all around. Sat down against a tree in a small fold-up chair and enjoyed some coffee watching the sunrise right in front of me - very nice!

At 06:30 / legal time, I put the Mossberg 500 (28 vent rib/ported barrel - just bead sights) as well as my ear pro on my lap. About 07:30 just when I was thinking of getting up to pee, I looked to my left and saw a doe. I literally thought no way! (again, wasn't expecting much on the ground on public land). Put my ear pro on, shouldered the shotgun and pushed the safety off. She was broadside and my backstop looked good. I debated taking the shot for a second but determined it was a good one. Boom.

I see a deer running away and got worried I missed, or even worse - wounded her and I felt terrible. I see another hunter / orange about 100 yards away. The deer continues to run and I know I'm not getting another shot, but am walking towards the location. A few seconds later I look down and see my downed doe, lifeless. There were two and I didn't even realize. Surprised and excited, I run back to get my pack and look around a bit to find her again. I tagged her and the other hunter came over to say hello and congrats. He helped me a bit with dressing which I was thankful for since I've never seen it in person, and I think I did a decent enough job.

She was small but it didn't look like much meat was ruined from the shot. I kept the heart and liver and took her to a butcher shop nearby. The three massive bucks at the drop-off didn't make me feel great about this little one, but again I was most concerned with a quick kill. Still debating the ethics of her age, but I didn't really know at the distance.

What do you all think? I guess maybe I'm looking for verification I didn't do so badly, or suggestions for next time.... I still have a 5D antlerless tag for late season and my antlered tag for later this week.
    Last edited by jthrelf; November 27th, 2018 at 07:12 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: My First Deer

As long as it was a clean kill and you eat the meat, nothing to worry about.

There will ALWAYS be someone with a bigger deer, so don't worry about that.

Congrats on the first deer
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Lehigh County)

Thumbs up Re: My First Deer

congrats you popped your cherry on to the next one .

(Lehigh County)

Smaller deer have more tender meat. There are too many does out there, so you did your part. And.... congrats!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Congrats!

Congrats ! Secondly when I was presented with several doe tags years ago I would take one small doe and have it processed into cutlets only ! The best tasing melt in your mouth cutlets ever !

(Berks County)

It looks to me like a yearling (but what do I know?) and that other one might have been her mother. I'd expect it to be good eating as stated above. I always tell my buddy to bring me one with spots, they're the best but he says it's just as much work to butcher one of them up and there isn't much on it.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    It looks to me like a yearling (but what do I know?) and that other one might have been her mother. I'd expect it to be good eating as stated above. I always tell my buddy to bring me one with spots, they're the best but he says it's just as much work to butcher one of them up and there isn't much on it.
    How about an embryo ?

(Delaware County)

Congrats on your first deer. Don't worry about the size. Anyone says anything about it tell them it's a bigger challenge as they are a smaller target. Best meat you can get.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    How about an embryo ?
    You mean like a balut? Na, but if you have a yellow gosling I'd go for one of those.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast