Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: 2nd home in Pa I live in. I want purchase firearm in PA with NY Drivers license

Quote Originally Posted by jljordann922 View Post
    Pocono Pines (Monroe County)
    I'm a FFL down in Saylorsburg and would be willing to work with you.
    Trigger Time LLc
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Beaver County)

Default Re: 2nd home in Pa I live in. I want purchase firearm in PA with NY Drivers license

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    So what happens if I own 3 homes and live in each 4 months of the year? Am I not a resident of any state?
    I don't deal with hypotheticals, when you start living in three houses check back with me.

(Luzerne County)

I thought it had to do with where your primary house is located.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    I don't deal with hypotheticals, when you start living in three houses check back with me.
    The easier solution is, which of the three states does he hold a drivers license?

This whole issue is the reason why Monroe County's Sheriff Martin required a copy of your Berkheimer taxes to prove residency when applying for a LTCF. Just saying.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    But you'll apply tax law definitions to firearms laws?

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    The easier solution is, which of the three states does he hold a drivers license?

This whole issue is the reason why Monroe County's Sheriff Martin required a copy of your Berkheimer taxes to prove residency when applying for a LTCF. Just saying.
    He's supposed to issue to both residents and non-resident. Property taxes shouldn't mean jack shit. Just Saying.

(Centre County)

I'll have to look it up but I believe that if your state of residence requires a CCW permit (or whatever the state calls it) to carry concealed, then to get one in PA you must have one in your home state.

Buying a firearm has nothing to do with your "Primary" residence for a dual/multistate resident. The law says that if you own a home in 2 states, and pay the real estate taxes on those properties, that when you are residing in that home, you are a resident of that state. I have been doing this for over 10 years and the persons "Primary" residence has NEVER been called into play or was a factor in the purchase. And as I said in a previous post, I have been inspected by the BATFE and they have NEVER found that I have done anything the law didn't allow.

Can't say I've ever run into a person that has homes in more than 2 states but that should not matter the way the law is written.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    While it doesn't surprise me that the BATFE would say something like that, it just seems so completely wrong. Owning or renting shouldn't matter. Actually living there is what should be the determining factor. Own a house here that you use as an income property? No, that doesn't qualify you as a resident. Own/rent unimproved property? Nope.
    I don't disagree with that but the ATF is the one who makes the regulations. I suppose it could be because the renter/lessee does not determine what can/cannot be done with the rented property. The rental agreement could say "no firearms" and the renter has to abide by that. I can't say for certain why the ATF says that and I've never run into that scenario yet.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

To the OP, do you have a house with a Deed that has your name on it? Do you pay PA taxes? Not necessarily your income taxes, but PA school and property taxes? If so, you only need to find a FFL dealer willing to take copies of your paperwork and sell you a firearm. The 4473 will have your PA address, as per BATF instructions. The firearms will remain at your PA residence.

Without a PA DL, your Sheriff will most likely NOT issue a PA LTCF, winless you out of state license is a full unrestricted carry and then it will be a non resident LTCF, until you move permanently.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I'll have to look it up but I believe that if your state of residence requires a CCW permit (or whatever the state calls it) to carry concealed, then to get one in PA you must have one in your home state.

Buying a firearm has nothing to do with your "Primary" residence for a dual/multistate resident. The law says that if you own a home in 2 states, and pay the real estate taxes on those properties, that when you are residing in that home, you are a resident of that state. I have been doing this for over 10 years and the persons "Primary" residence has NEVER been called into play or was a factor in the purchase. And as I said in a previous post, I have been inspected by the BATFE and they have NEVER found that I have done anything the law didn't allow.

Can't say I've ever run into a person that has homes in more than 2 states but that should not matter the way the law is written.
    That is correct. The criteria for gun purchases is determined by federal law, then state law.

The criteria for a PA LTCF is solely state law. PA law says that if your state of residence issues a license(may or shall issue), then you must have that state's license/permit to be eligible for a PA LTCF. And PA goes by what is on your ID. The only state exempt of that is Vermont since they have no license/permit whatsoever.

With the "primary" thing, the ID is prima facie evidence of residence. The address on that ID would be the "primary" residence. While primary and secondary aren't codified things, they are realistic. A person must go through extra steps to prove a "dual" residency, whereas their ID proves with face value where they are resident to.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast