Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default 2nd home in Pa I live in. I want purchase firearm in PA with NY Drivers license

Hey so I posted a while back about understanding the law regarding purchasing a firearm in PA, while maintaing my NY license. I currently own a home in both NY and PA. I work in NYC Tuesday through Friday and due to my job for the city must maintain a NYC license. However I also consider myself living in PA mostly every Friday/Saturday to Monday.

From what I understood in my last thread, I technically should be able to purchase a firearm in PA even without the PA license since I do have a residency here that I actually live in. I also understood that most FFL just do not want to deal with that extra paperwork or doubt they may have so I will get written off by most. In fact I asked a few dealers out here in PA and even though I have my NYC Pistol permit and Rifle/Shotgun permit, I was basically told all that will get me is a Metro Card.

My question is, if I can in fact legally purchase a firearm in PA without the PA license, is there a FFL on here that has done it or does it or can at least put me in the right direction? Definitely am willing to travel. I am in Pocono Pines. I currently just bought my first pistol after finally getting my NYC license, but apparently can not even legally bring it out of the city. I can however bring my shotgun and rifle. Yet I would much rather choose from the vast selection in PA than the nonsense restrictions on firearms in NYC.

Please let me know. Thanks!

(Lehigh County)

Lightbulb Re: 2nd home in Pa I live in. I want purchase firearm in PA with NY Drivers license

Maybe next Monday when you're in PA take a trip into your local sheriff's office in whatever county your a home owner in IMO best place to find out straight from the horse's mouth. Good luck

(Berks County)

Default Re: 2nd home in Pa I live in. I want purchase firearm in PA with NY Drivers license

No you can’t skirt your state laws with a second home purchase. Sell your old home and move to pa. You’ll have tons of ny a holes living around you and soon they will succeed in making here just like there. 2yrs till dem o gerrymandering.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Clarion County)

Default Re: 2nd home in Pa I live in. I want purchase firearm in PA with NY Drivers license

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    2yrs till dem o gerrymandering.
    As previously noted elsewhere it's called redistricting for Democrats, and gerrymandering for republicans.
    No input for OP, please resume discussion.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

No you can’t skirt your state laws with a second home purchase. Sell your old home and move to pa. You’ll have tons of ny a holes living around you and soon they will succeed in making here just like there. 2yrs till dem o gerrymandering.
    Seems like a lot of generalizations made here without any helpful information. First off, "skirt" which state laws? I already legally have my licenses and legally own my firearms in NYC. When I spend my 3 or so days per week in PA owned home, I would like legal PA firearms for that home. Which is why I am asking. Not sure why it got all political.

As for speaking to my local Police Dept that may be a good option as well.

Thank you

(Lancaster County)

He would be a dual resident and as long as the PA firearms do not leave PA, he would be legal.

IANAL.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

You own the house in PA, you can own whatever you want in PA that is illegal in NY, as long as you keep it in PA.
    I can't see why you can't get a PA permit to carry and travel with your hand gun. You would have a permit in both states.
    Just stay within NY laws...
    I'm not a lawyer... I would look into it.

It would be a lot easier if states weren't allowed to make their own gun laws.
    Last edited by :-); November 27th, 2018 at 10:23 AM.

(Wyoming County)

OP while there may be several on here that can answer your question the guy I frequently see answer these types of questions is "xringshooter" aka Ron. I'm on my phone so my search fu is unable to ensure that I have his exact handle correct. If you mention where you live in PA maybe others can give you other recommendations
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    OP while there may be several on here that can answer your question the guy I frequently see answer these types of questions is "xringshooter" aka Ron. I'm on my phone so my search fu is unable to ensure that I have his exact handle correct. If you mention where you live in PA maybe others can give you other recommendations
    Yes XRingShooter "Ron" is the one who originally answered me back a few months ago regarding the legality of it. He said in a nutshell it is legal for me to purchase without a PA license as long as I am really living there.....The problem is no shop will sell to me regardless because they do not wan't the hassle from what I understood. And I've tried. Basically got laughed at lol. I know he is about 3 hours away from me but would be certainly worth the drive if he was ok with it. Tried messaging him on the forum but couldnt get access to do so. So wanted to know if there are more FFL's in the area, say Poconos, that would sell granted all the paperwork of residency is there.

(Jefferson County)

You can buy a rifle/shotgun for your PA home without issue.

Handguns, well, you'll have to prove to a knowledgeable PA FFL that you do in fact reside at your PA home during the weekends.

There is no such thing as "dual residency" in the USA, except for college students, certain elected officials to Washington DC, and very limited cases for military personnel. You reside where you are for the given moment when you are in fact living there. The problem of which is that your ID(drivers license/state ID) is generally prima facie evidence of your residence, which doesn't take into account possible secondary residences.

A FFL has to follow federal law that limits his/her ability to only transfer handguns and "other firearms" to only residents of that state. Which then puts the burden upon you to prove you are in fact a resident at that very moment. Then, if the FFL believes you will violate another state's laws by taking said firearm to that other state - the FFL is again tasked with denying the transfer.

So, for you to buy a handgun in PA as a primary resident of NY(because your ID says such), but a secondary resident of PA:

1. You must 1st find a knowledgeable FFL
    2. You must bring proof to that FFL that you do in fact reside in PA on weekends, during which time you would purchase said handgun
    3. You must have a reasonable argument that you would not attempt to violate the other state's laws
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast