Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Gettysburg question

So I'm going to Gettysburg this next weekend with the family. Not my first time there but its my first time since getting my carry permit. I dont think we are going to the park area and I'm aware of those rules. But has anyone had any issues in downtown Gettysburg? Are there any places that prohibit carrying, like shops and historic buildings? We're also staying at the Inn at cemetery hill. Just trying to decide if i should leave the gun at home or if I'm ok to bring it without any issues. I want to stay legal and not worry about being allowed in certain buildings or not. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Last edited by Jake97123; November 25th, 2018 at 08:06 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Gettysburg question

I had no issues in September, with the exception you CANNOT carry inside any Federal building that is staffed. As far as in town, no problems, and if you’re not comfortable, concealed means concealed.
    Just stay out of Federal blogs, which is EVERY building in the park. I saw no metal detectors though.

Just a tourist tip here. Pay the money to take the guided bus tour. MONEY WELL SPENT! The guides are licensed and have to KNOW the information. You will miss a lot I& you don’t take the guided bus tour.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Just a tourist tip here. Pay the money to take the guided bus tour. MONEY WELL SPENT! The guides are licensed and have to KNOW the information. You will miss a lot I& you don’t take the guided bus tour.
    I read that hiring your own “certified” guide is even better*, because they sit in your car and you aren’t limited to a fixed bus route and schedule. A personal guide works on your schedule. Any experience with that?

This is on my bucket list.

*probably not inexpensive though.

The federal museum property is posted all over the place. You cant even have it in your car. You also can not carry at the Eisenhower house. They have signs everywhere as well. Even the out building such as the animal barns are posted. So if you stay away from those two places you should be fine. IIRC the soldiers national cemetery where President Lincoln made his speech is also posted at the gates.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKIII View Post
    I read that hiring your own “certified” guide is even better*, because they sit in your car and you aren’t limited to a fixed bus route and schedule. A personal guide works on your schedule. Any experience with that?

This is on my bucket list.

*probably not inexpensive though.
    Yes, that private guide is probably better, but it’s also a lot more money. You wind up paying the whole cost instead of splitting it between a bus load of other smelly tourists. I’m cheap, what can I say?

(Berks County)

How would you know if the guy was bullshitting you anyway?
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Thanks everyone. I knew about the federal building part. Just wasnt sure about town. I don't think we're even going to the battlefield or anything outside town.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

I recommend the bus tour too..

(Venango County)

One could also get audio tours in CD or cassette. There is a product that has a booklet, audio cd, and DVD for PC. The DVD shows interactive map and pictures (current & wartime) with units approximate locations. There is a time clock that you control the speed to watch how units moved during the battle.

They make these battlefield products for other places like Antietam (Sharpsburg) etc. I always wanted to collect the series!

Best way is read some books and make notes and get a battlefield map. Gettysburg is two areas actually. But it is really beautiful and well kept, if you never saw it - go. Nice drive. Find PA monument and go up top if open, nice view. Round Tops are worth a look as is Devil's Den. Be sure to go a few yards in the woods to find Chamberlain's crucial last of the left flank position. You have to have a historical perspective to find it easily. It is easy to miss. Once there, I swear you can feel that something very significant transpired there.

Have fun. At least loop around the park in a car, motorcycle, or even a bicycle.
    Last edited by TaePo; November 26th, 2018 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Remove spurious letter - i.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Montgomery County)

Get the Ipad tour. worth the money.

You cannot carry in the hotel where Lincoln stayed. that is right in the town square.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast