Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Gettysburg question

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    One could also get audio tours in CD
    This is what we did. You can go at your leisure and everything is well marked to follow along.

The Pub, on the square, is a good place to eat. So is Dobbin house if it isn't packed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    How would you know if the guy was bullshitting you anyway?
    Licensed guides at GNMP are incredibly knowledgeable about pretty much every detail of the park and the battle. Look up the licensing process, it takes over a year and is VERY detailed. And they don't sit in your car, they drive it. Gives you the ability to look at what they're talking about as they narrate. Some are authors, some historians, all are good to go.

For food, try Gettysburg Eddies on Steinwehr. Great wings!!
    Last edited by snuffy19608; November 27th, 2018 at 04:24 PM.
    Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

(Chester County)

If the tour guide said his name was Joshua Chamberlain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Chamberlain???
    - bamboomaster

(Berks County)

I CC downtown every time I’m there and I average at least one visit per year . Heed what others have said about the federal buildings , but carrying in the park itself is legal with a valid LTCF.

Town is fun ...my wife and I do a pub crawl when we are there ...we stay at the 1863 Inn At Gettysburg right downtown within walking distance of a lot of nice shops , restaurants and bars. Gary Owen Irish Pub is one of the best pubs this side of the pond and the food is decent too.

http://garryowenirishpub.net/

The Farnswoth is nice but overpriced , Gettysburg Eddies is fun too. Have fun explore ...decent mix of people too never had a run in there .
    Last edited by Zeke2A; November 28th, 2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Fortuna audaces iuvat
    "Who is John Galt?"
    Deus Vult

(York County)

The Gary Owen is fantastic, as is the Underside pub of the Dobbin House. I've CC'd in both, and never had an issue in town or on federal land. There's some discussion somewhere on this forum about the new(er) battlefield museum, built on private land with private money, and I believe leased or run by the federal government. It is posted; I don't think I would push that issue!

I stayed at the Old Appleford B&B two decades ago (before I moved 40 minutes away) and it was quite nice. Here's a list of many of the B&B's:

http://gettysburg-pa.com/category/bed_and_breakfast.htm
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Well the National Park Guide at Independence Hall told us the story of the American Revolution in a manner entirely sympathetic to the British, so what guarantee do you have the government guides aren't also feeding you a complete line of BS?

(Bucks County)

Sent two daughters through Gettysburg college. the second was History/secondary Ed who spent three summers conducting 'ghost tours' in town for one of the companies run by the actual researchers. Despite the 'legitimacy' of her bosses's published ghost stuff, her one professor, who was one of the 'certified' guys, used to bust her chops constantly about her 'un-certified' summer job...

Those people thoroughly know the battle and are proud of it.

If you're heading north on Hancock Ave., just before the intersection of Cyclorama Drive, there are two cannons sitting there with a plaque between them...let me know what you think of the one on the left.

*roughly 39d48'58.67" N 77d14'05.29W according to google

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    One could also get audio tours in CD or cassette. There is a product that has a booklet, audio cd, and DVD for PC. The DVD shows interactive map and pictures (current & wartime) with units approximate locations. There is a time clock that you control the speed to watch how units moved during the battle.

They make these battlefield products for other places like Antietam (Sharpsburg) etc. I always wanted to collect the series!

Best way is read some books and make notes and get a battlefield map. Gettysburg is two areas actually. But it is really beautiful and well kept, if you never saw it - go. Nice drive. Find PA monument and go up top if open, nice view. Round Tops are worth a look as is Devil's Den. Be sure to go a few yards in the woods to find Chamberlain's crucial last of the left flank position. You have to have a historical perspective to find it easily. It is easy to miss. Once there, I swear you can feel that something very significant transpired there.

Have fun. At least loop around the park in a car, motorcycle, or even a bicycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    This is what we did. You can go at your leisure and everything is well marked to follow along.

The Pub, on the square, is a good place to eat. So is Dobbin house if it isn't packed.
    We did the CD thing too, and went at our own leisure. Got choked up in the cemetery, it was the graves where several soldiers were buried together.

We ate at the Dobbin house and sat downstairs near the creek.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Berks County)

I haven't been to Gettysburg since I was a Boy Scout, you guys are making me want to take a trip out there.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast