Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default Interstate Hangun transfer from father to daughter

I'm having a hard time figuring this one out, I can't seem to find good info on Florida laws anywhere. I know someone who lives in PA and wants to give a handgun to his daughter who lives in Florida. Anyone know if this requires an FFL or anything? Or does anyone know where I can find this out? He's currently visiting her in Florida so they want to handle this during the trip.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Interstate Hangun transfer from father to daughter

ANY transfer across state lines requires a FFL to facilitate it. The only exemption to that is: transfers by bequest(via a will) or intestate succession(family inheritance) - either of which requires the owner to die.

Handguns(and "other firearms") must be transfer to the recipient at a FFL in the recipient's home state. Long guns can be transferred at a FFL in any state.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Schuylkill County)

Ok, I will pass the info along. Thanks.

It can be hard to ship a gun unless the shipper is an FFL, but the owner can usually travel himself and meet the recipient at any FFL in the recipient's state.

Of course, if the recipient turns out to be prohibited, then the FFL can't transfer it back to the owner if it's a handgun, since he can only receive it from an FFL in HIS home state.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

If both father and daughter have CCW permits, can one of them take a firearm with them to give to the other, without going to FFL?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    If both father and daughter have CCW permits, can one of them take a firearm with them to give to the other, without going to FFL?
    READ THE POSTS- Not across state lines w/o an FFL. I can't tell you what DE's rules are if it is in state.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Lehigh County)

Federal law applies to all interstate transfers with few exclusions which are estate related. The receiving party must have a handgun transferred to them thru a FFL in their state of residence. Long guns may be transferred in either state, but still require an FFL and must meet all state laws in both states.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Jefferson County)

No. The father is a PA resident, the daughter is a FL resident. Federal law supersedes state law. It regulates not only interstate transfers, but also interstate loaning of guns.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holeshot121 View Post
    I'm having a hard time figuring this one out, I can't seem to find good info on Florida laws anywhere. I know someone who lives in PA and wants to give a handgun to his daughter who lives in Florida. Anyone know if this requires an FFL or anything? Or does anyone know where I can find this out? He's currently visiting her in Florida so they want to handle this during the trip.
    Yes, it does. Even if it was a rifle. If he is there, very easy. Just go to an FFL and get er done.

(Erie County)

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Must be done in recipient's state, through FFL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast