Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Adding sanctioned shooting events in 2019 to our range schedule

Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range is planning on holding monthly sanctioned matches at our range in 2019 and we are trying to decide which way we should go. Which one should we choose: IDPA, USPSA, 3 Gun Nation, Cowboy Action, or Steel Challenge? Your thoughts? We are leaning towards 3-Gun or Steel Challenge since IDPA and USPSA already have a busy schedule in SW PA and we don't think Cowboy Action has enough of a following.

We have 5 ranges we can use for the monthly shoot: 10 yards, 33 yards, 50 yards, 140 yards, and 300 yards. The 10 yards and 33 yards are capable of 180-degree shooting.

Thoughts anyone from SW PA?
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Adding sanctioned shooting events in 2019 to our range schedule

3gun will probably be better suited for you. Steel challenge is a bit boring and a lot of standing around. It can also be difficult to get sanctioned and requires certain steel targets.

(Allegheny County)

I have seen quite a few posts by people looking for 3 gun in SW PA. It appears there is none.

I have never done it but it interests me.

I suppose the hard part of laying out a course is to make it doable for the new shooters while still be challanging for the more experienced competitors.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    3gun will probably be better suited for you. Steel challenge is a bit boring and a lot of standing around. It can also be difficult to get sanctioned and requires certain steel targets.
    Already looked at the requirements for Steel Challenge and it won't be a problem getting sanctioned. 3 Gun has two national organizations, not sure which way we will go if we do that route.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.

2GAC

2 gun action challenge is what this state needs.

If you go three gun at least think about having a 2 gun division in it like many others are doing throughout the country.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Already looked at the requirements for Steel Challenge and it won't be a problem getting sanctioned. 3 Gun has two national organizations, not sure which way we will go if we do that route.

Cool. I still think it’s the most boring of the action sports. Once the steel is paid for it is a gold mine though and really easy to set up for

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    I have seen quite a few posts by people looking for 3 gun in SW PA. It appears there is none.

I have never done it but it interests me.

I suppose the hard part of laying out a course is to make it doable for the new shooters while still be challenging for the more experienced competitors.
    That's always the challenge for competitions, make it easy enough for the new shooters to keep them coming back yet at the same time making it tough enough for the experienced shooters. We have some interesting things are our range like a 30-foot shooting tower, a car with steel targets where the driver and passengers heads are, ability to move and shoot at all of the ranges, plus a truck to shoot out of, so interesting things we can offer competitors.

(Allegheny County)

I've never done 3 gun and it sounds interesting.
    I would certainly like to try it.

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Tioga County)

3 Gun I do not believe will ever catch on with the average person because there is so much crap you have to bring to a match and to be competitive you've got to have all the Gucci like gear. The guys that compete in this take a truck load of gear with them and have to wheel it around on a big cart. Yes we have 3 Gun matches here in PA but the numbers are not all that great. I think if clubs got off that fixation with 3 guns and went to two gun or carbine matches they would have much greater success.

Years ago Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club ran a carbine/rifle only match and I think they had 50 or 60 people and the entry was like $20 a head. The stages were a mix of IDPA like stages, some with more distance and then some standard marksman like stages from fixed positions shooting out to 200 meters. All you needed was a rifle and 2-3 magazines, 100 rounds and a magazine pouch if you wanted. Everybody had a great time and a lot of fun. And then they never ran it again, so not sure what happened there but never saw that club so busy again.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    That's always the challenge for competitions, make it easy enough for the new shooters to keep them coming back yet at the same time making it tough enough for the experienced shooters. We have some interesting things are our range like a 30-foot shooting tower, a car with steel targets where the driver and passengers heads are, ability to move and shoot at all of the ranges, plus a truck to shoot out of, so interesting things we can offer competitors.
    Well, having shot competitively, including at the national level, going back almost 30 years, I have seen clubs and shooting sports rise, sustain and then implode. I think what folks have to remember for action shooting sports in PA, your average competitor is looking to do this on a Saturday morning and then go home to do whatever for the rest of the weekend. I have seen IDPA in PA go through this cycle with some clubs. There is pressure clubs and organizers put on themselves to have these amazing running, jumping, diving stages with a bazillion targets and some complicated scenario you have to negotiate. The reality is someone has to set all this crap up, so those guys get burned out on it quickly and then all the competitors have to tear down and pack away all this crap at the end of the day. Plus for a lot of competitors the stages are just too complicated and not fun or they are no longer 20 years old and have an interest in all the hullabaloo. I've seen more people quit IDPA in recent times than join due to this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast