Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Adding sanctioned shooting events in 2019 to our range schedule

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    We do have vehicles to shoot from and into, plus we have a 30' shooting tower.... Okay, I'll make the 4th shoot really interesting, but will post it for review before finalizing it.
    And thanks for reaching out for input.

(Washington County)

First draft for our 3-Gun Tournament. Everything is up for debate, give us your thoughts:

Date: Aug 10th, 2019

3-Gun Tournament

$25 Entry Fee limited to 25 shooters.

First prize is 25% of entry fees collected plus free use of any non-belted machine gun for the day with your ammo.

Second prize is 10% with free use of an M16 machine gun for a day with your ammo.

Third prize is 5% of entry fees collected with free use of an M16 machine gun for a day with your ammo.

Lanes:

1st Lane: Shooter starts with a slinged rifle with bolt forwarded with no magazine and a holstered handgun that has no chambered round with 2 rounds in the inserted magazine. At the tone, shooter moves to shooting spot 1, draws the handgun, engages 5 targets at 50’ reloading as necessary. Shooter will then hostler handgun and transition to rifle and then move to shooting spot 2, loads rifle with 2-round magazine and shoots 10 silhouettes targets from 50 to 150 yards reloading as necessary.

2nd Lane: Shooter starts with slinged rifle with bolt forwarded with no magazine and shotgun holstered handgun that has no chambered round with 2 rounds in the inserted magazine. At the tone, shooter moves to shooting spot 1, draws handgun, engages 5 targets at 50’ reloading as necessary and holstering when finished. Shooter will then move to shooting spot 2, loads his shotgun, and yells PULL on which RSO will launch one clay pigeon and shooter engages. Shooter will continue to yell PULL until he breaks a total of 5 pigeons reloading as necessary. Shooter will then lay shotgun on table moves to shooting spot 3 at base of shooting tower, loads rifle with 2-round magazine and shoots 5 targets at 100-yards reloading as necessary, shooter will then climb half way up 30’ shooting tower stairs and shoot 5 targets at 100+ yards reloading as necessary, then shooter will climb to top of 30’ shooting tower and engage 5 targets at 100+ yards.

Targets will be 10” gongs to full-size silhouettes and standard 4.25” clay pigeons. Distances subject to change.

Shooter Equipment:
    Accepted handgun calibers are: 9mm, 357 Sig, 40S&W, 45ACP, 10mm. AR Rifle calibers are limited to 556/223/308. No specs on sling or sights. Optics are allowed.

Rules for Event:
    • All shooters must be 16+ years old. Absolutely no one under 16 is permitted on premises.
    • Eye and ear protection must be worn by EVERYONE at all times.

A tentative schedule for the shoot:
    • Range opens at 8:00 am. 100' pistol range will be available for practice and meet & greet follow shooters until 10:00 am.
    • Registration is from 9:00am to 10:30am.
    • Safety briefing is at 10:45am.
    • First shooter on the line at 11:00am. There will be little time allocated between shooters, so next shooter after active shooter needs to be "On Deck" and ready to roll.

Washington County Tactical Range
    25 Greaves Road
    West Alexander, PA 15376
    724-249-5112
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

WCMG, I like it. I hope others do as well.

At the start, allow shooters to be weapon ready- I may be reading it wrong, but it sounds like the timer goes off and then you load. Obviously, off the shooting line- weapon cleared with no magazines in.

Get a vote on 2gun vs 3gun. I would do either, but prefer 2gun- pistol and rifle. My reason, it becomes expensive. But I would still jump on board if 3gun.

Consider adding barricades/windows for pistol and rifle though out the course. Using a vehicle as a barricade works well, just need to make sure people understand that even though the sights are above the hood of the vehicle the barrel may not be, seen it happen... easily taken care of by a safety brief, hit the vehicle and its a safety violation and DQ. RSO needs to be ready to stop if the barrel appears to be unsafe. Big boy rules are a must. For less skilled shooters you can adapt by slowing them down. It is a great skill builder as a person must practice different shooting positions and weapon handling/safety.

Using a combination of paper silhouettes allows you to score by using the zones. Score per paper tgt, 3 - 5 hits. I say 3 - 5 hits as people have gotten use to 2 hits and move. 3 or more hits requires additional weapon manipulation/control than 2. One hit works great on the gongs. This is realistic as not every real life tgt goes down with one or two hits.

Calibers, some may be using .300 BO and 6.5 Creedmoor. Consider allowing them as well as they fall into the range of what you have listed.

Consider how you will reset the gongs and paper tgts at the ranges you have listed. This will eat up the most time.

Personally, I am for tactical or concealed carry holsters only. Competition holsters are great, but not practical in every day life... A vote may push you in the right direction.

(Washington County)

I’m good with the unloaded starts. Loading on the start timer is just another competitive step.

I do not support holstering a possibly loaded handgun while on the clock. You can have the shooter unload and show clear with the handgun before holstering while on the clock but you never want to have a competitor’s time dependent on someone else (the RO looking and verifying handgun is clear). Just have the shooter bench or ground the handgun, then come back, clear, and holster when shooter is done.

The shotgun clay throwing is also another chance for someone to screw up the shooter’s time. How will you handle a bad throw or a broken clay? Just things to plan for.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234