Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Adding sanctioned shooting events in 2019 to our range schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no, at least in my case. Over the last 30+ years I have shot a few different competitive disciplines (IPSC, IDPA, NRA Action Shooting, Bowling Pins, Steel, 3-Gun, PPC, Bullseye, C.O.P.S. matches and others). I enjoyed shooting them, but don't really anymore.

I would rather get together with a group of shooters and set up drills/courses of fire, etc... and practice the skills that we deem beneficial for our defensive firearms use.

In the past, I have run some defensive pistol leagues; and we would keep score. What I found was that a group of people would start out shooting their daily carry firearms and as the leagues would progress, they would start changing gear and show up with "gun game guns". At the end, I changed the league up and started running it as a "structured defensive pistol practice session". No official scores were kept (though shooters were encouraged to track their own scores to see how they progressed). We lost some shooters, and some shooters returned to shooting the courses with their actual carry or home defense guns.

It really just depends on what the goal is.
    I can see that. What you are talking about is more like a class or training. Any type of shoot is going to be competitive, even if it's with yourself. Even just messing around with friends usually turns into some kind of competition.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    You sound like a liberal soccer mom. "Nobody likes to compete", participation trophies, holy shit.. Everybody likes to compete, that's why they keep score.
    I think you're speaking from a narrow field of view.

Competing against others is one thing. Competing with yourself is another. I find both can be fun and beneficial. However, it's been my experience that "most" people who own and shoot guns have never entered into formal competitions with others, but on the other hand they typically always compete with themselves to do better during a informal practice or a get together with friends (like the PMSC group shoots). To only offer formal competitions would exclude this group. It boils down to the goal, attract a handful of formal competitors, or attract a larger group of informal shooters.
    Toujours prêt

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by DROM68 View Post
    I think that is a great thing in not doing sanctioned events.

But the events you have listed are bland and something I can easily do at a gun range near me. Not worth traveling to shoot those events.
    So what would you recommend for the 4th event?
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I think you're speaking from a narrow field of view.

Competing against others is one thing. Competing with yourself is another. I find both can be fun and beneficial. However, it's been my experience that "most" people who own and shoot guns have never entered into formal competitions with others, but on the other hand they typically always compete with themselves to do better during a informal practice or a get together with friends (like the PMSC group shoots). To only offer formal competitions would exclude this group. It boils down to the goal, attract a handful of formal competitors, or attract a larger group of informal shooters.
    Every formal competition I've been to lately has been packed with shooters. The IDPA shoot I went to last month after Christmas had over 40 shooters. If you just want to shoot, you can go to the range. Most informal shooters won't bother to go anyway. If you run a good shoot, it will be full every time. The USPSA shoots locally sell out in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    So what would you recommend for the 4th event?
    I would do a two gun USPSA style shoot. People are dying to run and gun with their rifles.

(Lackawanna County)

Different option. Shotgun steel.

People love to hose. With a rifle even more so.
    Pcc matches are really becoming popular.

(Allegheny County)

Every formal competition I've been to lately has been packed with shooters. The IDPA shoot I went to last month after Christmas had over 40 shooters. If you just want to shoot, you can go to the range. Most informal shooters won't bother to go anyway. If you run a good shoot, it will be full every time. The USPSA shoots locally sell out in minutes.
    Oh, I understand where you're coming from. I've been competing in NRA High Power and CMP sanctioned matches for the past 10 years. I also run the CMP program at PMSC where our monthly "open to the public" CMP shoots are for fun only. I can't even guess as to how many first time shooters have attended these shoots over the past years, men, women, and kids (over 18). We also have some competitive shooters participate at these shoots. Yes, the participants keep scores, but only they know what their score was unless they want to share it. If this was a sanctioned match the number of attendee's each month would be a lot smaller.

We also hold IDPA matches at PMSC and it draws probably 100's of shooters per match, but it's a lot of work to set these up and we can only manage to hold them a few times a year (they require a lot of volunteers).

Anyways each type has it's plusses and minuses. Again it boils down to what the goal is for WCMG.
    Toujours prêt

I would do a two gun USPSA style shoot. People are dying to run and gun with their rifles.
    Agreed. Something that requires the individual to move and engage tgts at different ranges under a stressed time or against others. Keep the rules to minimum and keep the event rolling by using various stations.

You mentioned having vehicles to shoot at and from, use them in the scenario. I have a ton of experience with actual situations that could be used in scenarios. From vehicles, moving, limited visibility (night), barricades, the list goes on. After 25 years of active military I can set you up with multiple scenarios, I had to do that all the time.

(Washington County)

We do have vehicles to shoot from and into, plus we have a 30' shooting tower.... Okay, I'll make the 4th shoot really interesting, but will post it for review before finalizing it.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    We do have vehicles to shoot from and into, plus we have a 30' shooting tower.... Okay, I'll make the 4th shoot really interesting, but will post it for review before finalizing it.
    I see a lot of fun stuff with that. Shoot from vehicle, move/shoot, shoot into vehicle, move/shoot, up tower 1/2 way shoot, top of tower shoot. Can easily be done in stages and then have an "iron man" stage where its done non-stop. 2 weapons, pistol and rifle and you can incorporate short and long distance.

Let me know if you want help setting it up and even running it. I have years of running live-fire ranges so I can ensure a safe, fun and challenging range.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast