Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Adding sanctioned shooting events in 2019 to our range schedule

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    3 Gun I do not believe will ever catch on with the average person because there is so much crap you have to bring to a match and to be competitive you've got to have all the Gucci like gear. The guys that compete in this take a truck load of gear with them and have to wheel it around on a big cart. Yes we have 3 Gun matches here in PA but the numbers are not all that great. I think if clubs got off that fixation with 3 guns and went to two gun or carbine matches they would have much greater success.

Years ago Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club ran a carbine/rifle only match and I think they had 50 or 60 people and the entry was like $20 a head. The stages were a mix of IDPA like stages, some with more distance and then some standard marksman like stages from fixed positions shooting out to 200 meters. All you needed was a rifle and 2-3 magazines, 100 rounds and a magazine pouch if you wanted. Everybody had a great time and a lot of fun. And then they never ran it again, so not sure what happened there but never saw that club so busy again.
    1000% this!

I see 3 gun on TV and all I think is Golf for rich guys with guns. I bet one day they will have caddy’s too.

This is why I mentioned 2GAC which is what the boys over at InrangeTV run in AZ and is spreading in Europe because of them and it’s simple requirements.

You can show up with a shitty Mosin Nagant and a Hi point and have a ton of fun for a few hours. Divisions can be added like trooper and Armored to add to the hurt if one desires. It’s far from fancy but it’s way more practical when it comes to the use of the average firearms most people own and no stupid gammer shotguns are required.

I would definitely travel the long way to complete in a monthly 2G match.
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 21st, 2018 at 10:34 PM.

(Allegheny County)

IMHO, a regular monthly "Sanctioned" shooting event requires way to much effort and time on the part of the organizers. It will get old very fast.

I'm uncertain as to what your goals are but, if it was me, I'd offer a variety of up to 6 non-sanctioned events a year on Saturday mornings that run May-Oct. Most shooters out there don't really care to compete, but may be interested in a "just for fun" organized shoot where they can challenge themselves and receive a "trophy" for participating, or ranking in the top 20%, or something along those lines.

We've done some of these at our club several times over the years.

1. .22 rimfire rifle shoot - 3 position standing/seated/prone (or rested) hit count on steel targets at 3 distances or same distance with smaller steel.
    2. Carbine shoot - any semi-auto rifle IPSC targets, timed, 30-50 yards, Standing 10 rounds - transition to 10 rounds seated with mag change - transition to 10 rounds prone with mag change. Depending on how many shooters you have, participants can run it two or three times.
    3. Ground Hog shoot - 100-300 yards, paper ground hog targets, Scoped centerfire rifles, Bench rest or prone (shooters choice). 20 rounds in 25 minutes at two different distances. up to 5 sighters and 10 rounds for score at each distance.
    4. Black Power shoot - Percussion and Flint lock Rifles and pistols. There are a lot of options here. We've found that shooting at steel at 30-40 yards is a lot of fun.
    5. CMP/NRA High Power non-sanctioned shoot - We hold these monthly May-Nov at our club. It's just for fun, any rifle scoped or iron sights. Everyone is just competing against themselves, no awards or prizes.
    6. Military Rifle shoot - 3 position any rifle that was used by any nations army bolt & semi auto. You may include or exclude AR's. Make up the COF.

2-3 hours max for these events. Any longer and it will drag.

Myself and several of our members would participate in many of these if you held them.

BTW, have lunch afterwards for the participants (donation). Hotdogs/Baked beans/pop. BSing at the range is half the fun!
    Last edited by Hawk; November 22nd, 2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Washington County)

+1 for 2GAC Setup is simple enough but it looks more practically oriented.
    Last edited by kaw202; November 28th, 2018 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range is planning on holding monthly sanctioned matches at our range in 2019 and we are trying to decide which way we should go. Which one should we choose: IDPA, USPSA, 3 Gun Nation, Cowboy Action, or Steel Challenge? Your thoughts? We are leaning towards 3-Gun or Steel Challenge since IDPA and USPSA already have a busy schedule in SW PA and we don't think Cowboy Action has enough of a following.

We have 5 ranges we can use for the monthly shoot: 10 yards, 33 yards, 50 yards, 140 yards, and 300 yards. The 10 yards and 33 yards are capable of 180-degree shooting.

Thoughts anyone from SW PA?
    I am looking for fun and competition shooting. I have seen several of your other posts on upcoming events. I doubt I will attend them as they seem boring and straight forward. Probably a good time, but not what I am looking for.

I think a combination of courses would be great. It prevents many of the issues mentioned in other post and keeps it to where you can manage both the set up/tear down and various levels and interest.

If you have events that required movement and thought I would be interested. Shooting from a bench and standard ranges are no fun for me.

I would be interested in assisting and shooting, but I am not interested in being a member of any sort. Every hobby I enjoy requires some sort of club membership and would make me poor if I joined all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    IMHO, a regular monthly "Sanctioned" shooting event requires way to much effort and time on the part of the organizers. It will get old very fast.

I'm uncertain as to what your goals are but, if it was me, I'd offer a variety of up to 6 non-sanctioned events a year on Saturday mornings that run May-Oct. Most shooters out there don't really care to compete, but may be interested in a "just for fun" organized shoot where they can challenge themselves and receive a "trophy" for participating, or ranking in the top 20%, or something along those lines.

We've done some of these at our club several times over the years.

1. .22 rimfire rifle shoot - 3 position standing/seated/prone (or rested) hit count on steel targets at 3 distances or same distance with smaller steel.
    2. Carbine shoot - any semi-auto rifle IPSC targets, timed, 30-50 yards, Standing 10 rounds - transition to 10 rounds seated with mag change - transition to 10 rounds prone with mag change. Depending on how many shooters you have, participants can run it two or three times.
    3. Ground Hog shoot - 100-300 yards, paper ground hog targets, Scoped centerfire rifles, Bench rest or prone (shooters choice). 20 rounds in 25 minutes at two different distances. up to 5 sighters and 10 rounds for score at each distance.
    4. Black Power shoot - Percussion and Flint lock Rifles and pistols. There are a lot of options here. We've found that shooting at steel at 30-40 yards is a lot of fun.
    5. CMP/NRA High Power non-sanctioned shoot - We hold these monthly May-Nov at our club. It's just for fun, any rifle scoped or iron sights. Everyone is just competing against themselves, no awards or prizes.
    6. Military Rifle shoot - 3 position any rifle that was used by any nations army bolt & semi auto. You may include or exclude AR's. Make up the COF.

2-3 hours max for these events. Any longer and it will drag.

Myself and several of our members would participate in many of these if you held them.

BTW, have lunch afterwards for the participants (donation). Hotdogs/Baked beans/pop. BSing at the range is half the fun!

You sound like a liberal soccer mom. "Nobody likes to compete", participation trophies, holy shit.. Everybody likes to compete, that's why they keep score.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Everybody likes to compete, that's why they keep score.
    Sometimes yes and sometimes no, at least in my case. Over the last 30+ years I have shot a few different competitive disciplines (IPSC, IDPA, NRA Action Shooting, Bowling Pins, Steel, 3-Gun, PPC, Bullseye, C.O.P.S. matches and others). I enjoyed shooting them, but don't really anymore.

I would rather get together with a group of shooters and set up drills/courses of fire, etc... and practice the skills that we deem beneficial for our defensive firearms use.

In the past, I have run some defensive pistol leagues; and we would keep score. What I found was that a group of people would start out shooting their daily carry firearms and as the leagues would progress, they would start changing gear and show up with "gun game guns". At the end, I changed the league up and started running it as a "structured defensive pistol practice session". No official scores were kept (though shooters were encouraged to track their own scores to see how they progressed). We lost some shooters, and some shooters returned to shooting the courses with their actual carry or home defense guns.

It really just depends on what the goal is.
    Last edited by Orive 8; January 14th, 2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Orive 8 View Post
    I would rather get together with a group of shooters and set up drills/courses of fire, etc... and practice the skills that we deem beneficial for our defensive firearms use.

It really just depends on what the goal is.
    I would be up for what you are interested in.

A challenge or competition from time to time would be great. People from different parts getting together at various ranges for a day or two worth of drills and maybe a dinner afterwards.

Goal is to have fun and get better.

(Washington County)

After a few months of research, we scrapped the idea of joining a sanctioned league and are going with our own custom in-house shooting events. Here are the first three that we scheduled:

AR-15 / AR-10 Tournament
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=343369

LEO Pistol Qualification Tournament
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=343370

2-Gun Steel Tournament
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=343371

Anyone have suggestions for the 4th one?
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Quote Originally Posted by WCMG View Post
    After a few months of research, we scrapped the idea of joining a sanctioned league and are going with our own custom in-house shooting events. Here are the first three that we scheduled:

AR-15 / AR-10 Tournament
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=343369

LEO Pistol Qualification Tournament
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=343370

2-Gun Steel Tournament
    http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=343371

Anyone have suggestions for the 4th one?

I think that is a great thing in not doing sanctioned events.

But the events you have listed are bland and something I can easily do at a gun range near me. Not worth traveling to shoot those events.

(Tioga County)

I looked at all three and they look interesting to me, so I'll do whatever my work schedule allows.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast