Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Red Dot Optics and Illuminated Reticles

I can only find information on the use of red dot optics (LED, holographic) and illuminated reticles in rifle scopes in the Hunting Digest under General Hunting Licenses >> Electronic Devices >> Item 2), which states, "It is unlawful to hunt with any electronic contrivance or device except: ...2) Lighted pins on bow sights and scopes with lighted reticles may be used as long as they don't cast a beam. Any device used as a sight or scope on any firearm, bow, or crossbow that project a light beam of any kind onto the target is unlawful. ..."

Reading this, the language appears to permit lighted devices specifically on bows, but it doesn't specifically permit their use on firearms. It only mentions firearms specifically as it pertains to the prohibition of devices that cast a beam. Does anyone have further knowledge or information to confirm red dot optics and illuminated reticles are legal to use on firearms for hunting?

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: Red Dot Optics and Illuminated Reticles

Quote Originally Posted by Norsaq View Post
    I can only find information on the use of red dot optics (LED, holographic) and illuminated reticles in rifle scopes in the Hunting Digest under General Hunting Licenses >> Electronic Devices >> Item 2), which states, "It is unlawful to hunt with any electronic contrivance or device except: ...2) Lighted pins on bow sights and scopes with lighted reticles may be used as long as they don't cast a beam. Any device used as a sight or scope on any firearm, bow, or crossbow that project a light beam of any kind onto the target is unlawful. ..."

Reading this, the language appears to permit lighted devices specifically on bows, but it doesn't specifically permit their use on firearms. It only mentions firearms specifically as it pertains to the prohibition of devices that cast a beam. Does anyone have further knowledge or information to confirm red dot optics and illuminated reticles are legal to use on firearms for hunting?
    You're reading too much in to it. Lighted pins is strictly applicable to the bows, illuminated scopes are permitted on any weapon
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Red Dot Optics and Illuminated Reticles

Red dot sights are legal. I hunt with a Burris Fastfire 3 on my Ruger .44 Magnum handgun.

Lighted reticles are also legal.

What is not legal are those that cast a beam, like a laser pointer.