Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Toomey again????

This guy is a jag off for sure, all commercial gun sales already require a background check so what the Hell is he looking for?

(Lehigh County)

Just spewing excrement from his mouth and hoping it's infectious to whom ever listening

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    This guy is a jag off for sure, all commercial gun sales already require a background check so what the Hell is he looking for?
    Demoncrap nomination ?
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Mifflin County)

Yea really .......................

(Montgomery County)

-
    It's just the "gun show loophole" universal gun registration repackaged with a less descriptive name.
    Bern-
    -

http://www.erienewsnow.com/story/394...Wd13PKePpAYdbY

Toomey revives "common sense" gun reform proposal following Pittsburgh synagogue shooting

“Common sense” gun reform: U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) is reintroducing a measure calling for mandatory background checks on all commercial gun sales.

November 16th 2018
    by Matt Knoedler

WASHINGTON, D.C. - “Common sense” gun reform.

That’s what U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) is calling his latest proposal to prevent, or at least reduce, future mass shootings such as the one at a Pittsburgh synagogue last month.

Toomey’s proposal would require a full background check for the purchase of a firearm through a commercial sale both online and in-person at a store or a gun show.

The key word is commercial. The proposal wouldn’t require a background check if a parent sold a gun to their child, for example, Toomey said.

In the aftermath of the Parkland, Fla. school shooting in February, a poll by National Public Radio found 94 percent of Americans supported "requiring background checks for all gun buyers."

The proposal is similar to Toomey’s 2013 legislation he co-sponsored with West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, a Democrat. The legislation has become colloquially known as the "Manchin-Toomey amendment." Toomey said he’s in talks with Manchin about working together again. Both are 2ndamendment supporters, but have called for some reform in the past.

Toomey and Manchin tried to revive the legislation earlier this year, but Senate Republicans failed to get behind the measure. But starting in January, Democrats (who traditionally support gun control legislation) will lead the House, so Toomey is hoping for some sort of bipartisan deal, to get it done.

“The idea is real simple: if you’re a violent criminal or you’re dangerously mentally-ill, then you shouldn’t have a firearm,” Toomey said during an interview with Erie News Now. “It’s a reasonable thing to do a several-minute background check to see if you’re in one of those categories.”

More than 15,500 Americans died from gun violence – excluding most suicide data – in 2017, according to the non-profit group Gun Violence Archive.

Toomey’s latest proposal comes after 11 people were killed, 6 others injured in a mass shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue in October. The goal is to reduce the likelihood of mass shootings, he said, and to honor the lives of those killed in Pittsburgh.

Pennsylvania’s senior U.S. Senator, Bob Casey, supports gun reform as well. He wants to go a little further, banning military-style assault weapons and limiting high-capacity magazines. Fresh off of winning a third-term in the Senate in last week’s election, Casey took to the Senate floor Thursday pleading more support to curb future deadly gun crimes.

“I don’t think it’s in the best interest of the American people to surrender… to this problem, to surrender to this uniquely American problem,” Casey said.

Toomey expects to introduce this legislation when the 116thcongress formally convenes in January.

The big question: will enough Senate Republicans – including some newly-elected Senators – support his measure this time around?

“That’s the open question,” Toomey said. “That’s what we’re going to find out.”
    -
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Chester County)

The proposal wouldn’t require a background check if a parent sold a gun to their child, for example, Toomey said.

My will wills ALL my guns to my boys.

(Columbia County)

I'm convinced that he is just looking for a bill to attach his name to it for an ego thing/ legacy. It got traction after Sandy Hook and he is still at it. Several states have passed their own version and I suspect sooner or later it will pass in on the Federal level. Keep in mind The Brady bill initially was introduced shortly after the attempt on President Reagan in 1981. It took 12 years to pass it (1993). If history repeats itself I suspect a version of it will pass before 2024. Besides we gun owners in PA could not even get rid of Bob Casey who is much worse then Toomey on guns. I have no solution to our anti gun Senators.

The only solution that I can see is disobedience in the form of noncompliance to as much as possible.

(Columbia County)

The only solution that I can see is disobedience in the form of noncompliance to as much as possible.
    When it comes to Universal background checks noncompliance could be potential problems for the seller of a long gun. Police can easily set up sting operations. I wouldn’t doubt the liberal media will get in on the act and start setting up private gun sellers to sell their long gun without a background check and be video recording the whole transaction all for TV ratings.
    The other problem will be if someone does sell a long gun without a background check if the new owner uses it in a crime or for whatever reason gets questioned by police about how he obtained the gun, the seller better hope the new owner doesn’t tell the police about the background check-less sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast