Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anyone else hate the new tree stand regulations for public land?

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Yeah, but it wasn't required 2014 (which is when I started). Guess it depends on your definition of new :P
    So the rule went into effect after your first year and has been in effect for four of your five years. How can you possibly insinuate that is a new law?

Also do you realize that setting up a stand makes no claim to exclusivity to have not an area. The best way to insure exclusive hunting rights is to buy land.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    So the rule went into effect after your first year and has been in effect for four of your five years. How can you possibly insinuate that is a new law?

Also do you realize that setting up a stand makes no claim to exclusivity to have not an area. The best way to insure exclusive hunting rights is to buy land.
    I'm not the guy that's bothered by people leaving up stands (heck, I do it, and I've changed plans because people have been near my spot before), and the digest specifically mentions what you pointed out.

I only mention the 2015-2016 change as being considered "new" to possibly explain why some here think it's a new thing that you can leave up stands on SGLs (when it's not).

Stands have been allowed to remain throughout the entirety of all deer seasons for as long as I can recall. The only recent change (and it's been years now) is having to use one of the specified methods of identifying your stand. The only reason for this was because of the glut of ladder stands left behind in more populace areas of public land in an attempt to tag a stand to an owner for a potential fine if the stand was left up year round. So effectively nothing has changed other than the remote possibility of a few hunters being contacted by the PGC.

So with that said what's the issue?
    Early season is a different type of hunting, but if you are hunting/scouting for rifle season I doubt there are few, if any, locations where ladder stands were drug into woods that I would ever consider hunting. If anything it's a nice flag to stay the hell away, and hunt elsewhere. I doubt if you go even a 1/2 mile in you won't see any, except the odd platform stand, which isn't likely to be used for rifle season.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I was trying to say that while a thought the M2 was a more appropriate charge, that offense happens often, and the police KNOW it, and it still isn't charged, so I'd guess it was just a bluff to scare the lady.

I'm still not sure of the reason for the edit to your own post.
    I deleted my post because it was redundant after U.J. posted the same thing immediately above mine.

I misunderstood your post. Thanks for clarifying.

I can't explain why she wasn't charged with this in the first place. It would have been a simple matter for the Game Commission to refer it to the PSP for criminal investigation. I would have been happy to charge her with it. My best guess is that the WCO was simply being too soft. Personally I see an attempt to falsely incriminate another person to be despicable, worthy of being graded as a felony.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I don't disagree, but since she wasn't hunting herself, what would *her* charge be? Interference (34 Pa.C.S.A. § 2302) is only a summary offense. Jail time is possible, but probably not likely for a summary offense. It's be nice if they could charge something with some teeth in it.
    We have laws against disrupting hunts and feeding the deer. They charged her with feeding the deer 2nd offense as she had already been warned not to put out corn. There was an issue about trespass since it was on the kids grandfather's land. The last had to do with the a false report. Only time will tell if she really gets burned as it is still being bounced around in the courts.

Damn it at my age you would think that I would know to read ALL of the posts before commenting. Just imagine how much more intelligent I would have looked using Uncle Jumbo's wording.
    Last edited by phill; November 14th, 2018 at 03:11 PM.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Susquehanna County)

Deer avoid blood... find a fresh road kill and dump some organs at the base of the tree
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    Deer avoid blood... find a fresh road kill and dump some organs at the base of the tree
    I have seen them be very curious about it as well......

The public land that I hunt still requires that stands be removed daily. I usually hit it mid week of the first week and have the entire property to myself.

(Fayette County)

I am no attorney but somebody here may be able to shed some light on this. What if someone comes in my tree stand and falls out and claims that it wasn't put up correctly? My guess is they could sue me. Is this correct? It would be like somebody coming into my yard and breaking their ankle.

(Bucks County)

It it also your tree?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast