Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Adams County)

Default No such thing as restraining orders in PA.

I was reading a thread, and an announcement on this board, and in both, I saw two incidents where something was referred to as a "restraining order." I then did a search on the forum, and found numerous others where a "restraining order" was referred to in reference to domestic violence incidents and other harassment.

Pennsylvania does not have "restraining orders." The only legal document that almost matches the same description is a "Protection from Abuse Order" (henceforth PFA) A PFA can be issued by the courts in domestic violence situations, and there are penalties for violation of these orders.

I hope this helps.

(York County)

Default Re: No such thing as restraining orders in PA.

Yes you're correct its called a PFA. But as is prevalent on the internet, the more common term was used to eliminate confusion I think.

Dave
    3%

(Adams County)

You mean, kinda like calling a certain piece of paper a "gun permit" or numerous other incarnations of the same thing?

Just wondering...

<flamesuit on>

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    You mean, kinda like calling a certain piece of paper a "gun permit" or numerous other incarnations of the same thing?

Just wondering...

<flamesuit on>

"Gun Permit"? Wtf is a gun permit? You sir, are off your rocker!
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Pike County)

In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.

(Adams County)

Yeah, thanks, that was my point. I was trying to educate the members here as to the proper terminology for a PFA.

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    "Gun Permit"? Wtf is a gun permit? You sir, are off your rocker!
    I bet he carries extra "clips" as well
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: No such thing as restraining orders in PA.

All good suggestions, it's just complicated a bit by geography, and he said/she said, etc. He now lives in Utah. Local police can't do much about it.

In the divorce, he was awarded supervised visitation only, and because those types of visits don't allow him to preach his crap to the kids, he opts to not see them at all. It's been over two years since he has seen them. He also gave them each a cell phone, which he pays for and those are the only numbers that he has as far as contact with them. He is to call them between 7 and 8 pm nightly, and other than the occasional text message, he sticks to it. They don't even turn the phones on unless I or their mother reminds them to do so.

That hinders us from recording the calls, but it also keeps him from finding the address, and also keeps him from calling the kids mom and I and harrassing us. We have an unlisted number and the house and bills are all in my name, which he doesn't have. We have a PO box in a different city and that is all he has. The kids understand very well and have been awesome at redirecting his attention or ending the call when he starts to interrogate them about the exact address, school, etc. or when he becomes threatening.

It's hard on them, but is much easier now then when he was living with them. And they understand it.

It still could be better. We're hoping it'll get better. But I've done my homework. Reading and learning about Sociapaths has been VERY eyeopening, and in doing that, I know that hope for better is fine, but it's much better to be prepared for the more likely occasion of it getting much worse.

Thanks all. Was just looking for info on the possibility of the Federal Protection Order.
    Last edited by Delcoadvocate; October 6th, 2008 at 10:03 PM.