Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: No such thing as restraining orders in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by mjfletcher View Post
    Have you called the police about it? Record the calls if you can and take the tapes to the police or a lawyer.
    In Pa you would have to inform them that the call is bieng recorded first.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delcoadvocate View Post
    If there is, I need as much info as possible, particularly how to get one.

My g/f had A Protection order against her ex, but it expired and he ran to the other side of the country as soon as he wasa granted unsupervised parole or whatever the hell it's called. Form there, he continues to verbally threaten my life, and my g/f's life while on the phone with the kids. We can't even get a court to see the problem with that and eliminate the mandatory nightly phone calls. It's ridiculous.

What's really bad is that he's suckered another young female in and is again engaged to an unsuspecting 19 year old. He's 37, and a documented Sociopath as recorded on court documents.

Pisses me off. I'd LOVE to warn her and her family.

Anyway...anybody have any info on that federal protection order???
    1) change home/cell phone #s
    2) record everything and let local police know

(Monroe County)

IANAL but...

- PFA (Protection from Abuse) is basically issued to keep 2 people apart for reason of potential physical or emotional violence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_From_Abuse

Keep in mind when it comes to a PFA the person being "filed against" is 100% guilty the moment it is filed until it is heard in court. This means if it is a husband / wife, boyfriend / girlfriend whatever, whoever filed it wins until the day in court, if it is found to be complete bullshit it gets thrown out, there is no legal recourse or punishment for filing a PFA.

- As for the threats over the phone those would be terroristic threats, Record all your calls, problem solved. Pick up the phone hit record and immediately say "Hello Mr.X residence this call is being recorded" no matter who is calling, every call, every time.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierce8468 View Post
    In Pa you would have to inform them that the call is bieng recorded first.
    only if you want to use the call in court. im sure you could use it to get the attention of the police, if they refuse to do anything otherwise
    i got shot, you should buy my stuff

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by eells View Post
    only if you want to use the call in court. im sure you could use it to get the attention of the police, if they refuse to do anything otherwise
    And when you get the attention of the police, they will likely charge you with violating Pa.'s wiretap law..... Notify the other party in a phone conversation you are recording them if you do so in this Commonwealth.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    IANAL but...

- PFA (Protection from Abuse) is basically issued to keep 2 people apart for reason of potential physical or emotional violence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protection_From_Abuse

Keep in mind when it comes to a PFA the person being "filed against" is 100% guilty the moment it is filed until it is heard in court. This means if it is a husband / wife, boyfriend / girlfriend whatever, whoever filed it wins until the day in court, if it is found to be complete bullshit it gets thrown out, there is no legal recourse or punishment for filing a PFA.
    True. But, the recourse can be either "Abuse of Power" if one were to file that route. Or... "Abuse of Process" if they're going through their attorney to file. While IANAL, I think this is pretty common in so called "threats" between counsels.

Also, my advice, which is substantiated by objective evidence, will remain as: get the highest-priced best known law firm in your area on your side. That's your way of buying all those friends you didn't have in high school. And just to quote that new Escalade commercial for Caddy, "real life is high school with money."

(Schuylkill County)

There are quite a few 'loopholes' in PA's two party recording law.

Your answering machine is one. I would doubt that you will get in any trouble is you take a recording of a person uttering death threats to the police.

If you do not have caller ID, and block non-id'd numbers from calling you, then set it up. Take those numbers/times to the police.

The system is a bit corrupt, but can be made to work in your favor.

Since there is no 'Federal Police' (they are not granted that power in the constitution.. and that used to mean something) I cannot see how they could enforce a 'Federal' PFA.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delcoadvocate View Post
    If there is, I need as much info as possible, particularly how to get one.

My g/f had A Protection order against her ex, but it expired and he ran to the other side of the country as soon as he wasa granted unsupervised parole or whatever the hell it's called. Form there, he continues to verbally threaten my life, and my g/f's life while on the phone with the kids. We can't even get a court to see the problem with that and eliminate the mandatory nightly phone calls. It's ridiculous.

What's really bad is that he's suckered another young female in and is again engaged to an unsuspecting 19 year old. He's 37, and a documented Sociopath as recorded on court documents.

Pisses me off. I'd LOVE to warn her and her family.

Anyway...anybody have any info on that federal protection order???
    Have copies of your phone bill handy. I have already givin the PSP permission to get the records from the phone company to go after someone.
    Also: You can have one FREE emergency number change for your reason. I have done that already.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by emsjeep View Post
    "Gun Permit"? Wtf is a gun permit? You sir, are off your rocker!
    I bet he carries extra "clips" as well
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Re: No such thing as restraining orders in PA.

All good suggestions, it's just complicated a bit by geography, and he said/she said, etc. He now lives in Utah. Local police can't do much about it.

In the divorce, he was awarded supervised visitation only, and because those types of visits don't allow him to preach his crap to the kids, he opts to not see them at all. It's been over two years since he has seen them. He also gave them each a cell phone, which he pays for and those are the only numbers that he has as far as contact with them. He is to call them between 7 and 8 pm nightly, and other than the occasional text message, he sticks to it. They don't even turn the phones on unless I or their mother reminds them to do so.

That hinders us from recording the calls, but it also keeps him from finding the address, and also keeps him from calling the kids mom and I and harrassing us. We have an unlisted number and the house and bills are all in my name, which he doesn't have. We have a PO box in a different city and that is all he has. The kids understand very well and have been awesome at redirecting his attention or ending the call when he starts to interrogate them about the exact address, school, etc. or when he becomes threatening.

It's hard on them, but is much easier now then when he was living with them. And they understand it.

It still could be better. We're hoping it'll get better. But I've done my homework. Reading and learning about Sociapaths has been VERY eyeopening, and in doing that, I know that hope for better is fine, but it's much better to be prepared for the more likely occasion of it getting much worse.

Thanks all. Was just looking for info on the possibility of the Federal Protection Order.
    Last edited by Delcoadvocate; October 6th, 2008 at 10:03 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12