Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default remanufactured ammo

Seen a lot of opinions on the use of factory remanufactured ammo. a lot of good and bad. Its cheaper than new obviously, but my concern is is it safe? do you get a lot of bad rounds? ie failure to load, fire, eject etc? Talk to me

(Chester County)

Default Re: remanufactured ammo

Depends on who may have re-manufactured it. And if it shoots better in your firearm.

Who re-manufactured the items that you are concerned about?

What are you considering shooting in the firearms you own? And your distance/accuracy expectations?

Would you possibly consider posting links to what made this "good" or "bad"?

Welcome to the forum.
    - bamboomaster

(Beaver County)

I am a commercial bullet caster amd supply projectiles to multiple ammunition manufactures. Yes some is remanufactured and some is made with new brass.

Just make sure the person/company your buying from is licensed and insured. Other then that the big question is does it shoot good in your gun ?
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Westmoreland County)

Just dont want to have to buy 1000 rnds and it blows up or something. guess i could get a box or 2 and see

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by shagreobe View Post
    Just dont want to have to buy 1000 rnds and it blows up or something. guess i could get a box or 2 and see
    If you have identified a specific brand and load that you might want, ask about it and you will be told what is known. There are a lot of commercial reloads out there and most are not significantly more of a gamble than any commercial new ammo. There are a relative few who have had a worse than average reputation or more recalls than others and these are generally a known factor.

Whenever considering a bulk purchase it is almost always a good idea to try a box or two to see how it works for you in your specific guns. This is true if the ammo is new, reloaded, or surplus and brand does not matter.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

I've shot a couple thousand rounds Freedom munitions out of my AR with no problems. Those were used brass. I can't remember the brand I'm shooting now. It's also remanufactured. No problem except a couple rounds had primers that were upside down. I've also shot a bunch of .44 magnum from LAX ammo which has also been great. If you just want something to shoot that's OK for accuracy then remanufactured is the way to go.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

When in doubt, invest in some reloading equipment. It's a great hobby, and you end up at the range more.

(Carbon County)

I bought some "Assembled" ammunition at a gun show from a gun shop. It was all new component ammo for cartridges that were not loaded anymore. I was shooting a 99 Savage and the first round jammed the lever. I did not load a second. Looking in the Hornady load book, there was a 10% reduction note for older rifles. I loaded some of my own up near the top of the 10% reduction and extraction became stickey. Not really abnormal with hot loads and rear locking rifles. I NEVER again bought loaded ammo outside of factory ammo. That is my policy, do what you want.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    I bought some "Assembled" ammunition at a gun show from a gun shop. It was all new component ammo for cartridges that were not loaded anymore. I was shooting a 99 Savage and the first round jammed the lever. I did not load a second. Looking in the Hornady load book, there was a 10% reduction note for older rifles. I loaded some of my own up near the top of the 10% reduction and extraction became stickey. Not really abnormal with hot loads and rear locking rifles. I NEVER again bought loaded ammo outside of factory ammo. That is my policy, do what you want.
    To be fair, that sounds like more of a problem with an older rifle than the ammo.

(Lycoming County)

I've shot some remans. Been my experience there wasn't a whole lot of cost savings over new unless it's some kind boutique or rare cartridge. In that case it's more worth the investment to reload imho.