Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default winchester 94, 64 scope mount on mosin?

I think I've decided to get a m91/30. I want to put a scope on it, but leave the furniture stock (other than the bit of wood work to get the scope mount on) I've been looking at some things, and I was wondering if any of you have ever tried to put the mount from a Winchester 94 or 64 on a Mosin? Is it possible?

That would be the most affordable route, the other option I have is to get an AK side rail scope, which will be much more similar to the actual sniper variant. I know I gotta do the bolt handle too. Any opinions, which would work best? I'm trying to avoid the ATI kit if possible.

Here's a couple of pics:

Here's the Winchester mount:

Here's one of the many AK mounts:

(Blair County)

Default Re: winchester 94, 64 scope mount on mosin?

That looks great Steve. That's some real fabrication! I'm gonna go take a look at the Weaver 1 on ebay.

Here's another mount I found that should be suitable. It's cheaper, a little easier to find than the Weaver 1, and it's less pieces. It will take some chopping and drilling, but I can tailor it for a perfect hieght, low or high. I will most likely follow your drill pattern.

How do you decide the line to drill on? If I go alittle high with the scope, more similar to the original sniper design, do I add a tiny bit of downward angle, or try to stay parallel with the barrel, then adjust the scope to compensate for a tall scope mount? With this setup, I should have enough clearance to use the iron sights if I mount high enough.

It's made by Tasco, for a Remington 870 or 1100 shotgun. There are two variations, one with a rail, one with built in rings. Which would you choose ?

As for the scope, I'll be picking up something for about $30, probably a 3-9x40 (or x50), from Sportsman's Guide. Cheap scope for a cheap rifle.

Cheaper than Dirt (CheaperThanDirt.com) has the top of receiver scope mount that takes weaver style rings. Part # MGR-342, for $41.97.
    I have mounted them on other rifles for people, and have one on my Model 38.
    I don't like the bolt handle, so, for my own rifle, I made the handle and welded it on and finished it myself.
    I have, however mounted one of the bolt handles provided with the kit, but, it was welded on after first being mounted with the screw they give you, then had the screw hole filled also.
    The scope mount is easy to do, if you have access to a drill press and tools, and patience and common sense.
    I also mounted an inexspensive scope to mine, and it works well at 100 yards.

I think I'm going with the Tasco Remington 870 or 1100 shotgun mount. It still gives me use of my iron sights.

Instead of the ati top mount, I found out that you can save about $20 and just use a short piece of tactical rail (pretty much any will do). Drill and mount it in the same spot as the ati rail, but make it stop at the reciever opening. Like these:

(Lehigh County)

does that setup work well?
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?

I haven't actually tried it myself, but the guys who did it say it works pretty well. If you look at the original snipers, thier mount holds only the front of the scope like these.

(Lehigh County)

ok just curious never thought about that
    A.T.F alcohol, tabacco, and firearms... who's bringing the chips?