Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default M&P Compact 9mm 2.0. Carry the 3.6in barrel or 4in barrel model?

I'm planning on purchasing a M&P Compact 9mm 2.0 and am trying to make a decision between the 3.6in barrel and 4in barrel. I've always carried a 3.1in shield and am unsure of which of these larger models to pick. Please consider my following questions/statements in your response and thank you for the advice!

1. Accuracy: I want to be able to comfortably make long range shots (25yds + in a Church defense situation). I'm guessing most people would say .4in won't make much of a difference when considering sight radius, but full size handguns are generally considered to be much easier to shoot accurately at longer ranges and the full size M&P is just 1.25in longer than the shield.

2. Thoughts on OWB or IWB? I am a thin and short guy (5ft7) . I do like to wear flannel shirts or leather jacket frequently. During the summer I'm not sure if I'd be able to get away with the compact under just a t-shirt but that's mostly a width/height of the grip concern, not overall length.

3. Accessories: Any weight to the idea that there might be more lights, red dot sights, etc., available for a 4in version over the 3.6in version? How easy would it be to try and get a threaded 3.6in barrel over a 4in barrel for secondary home defense purposes with a suppressor?

Default Re: M&P Compact 9mm 2.0. Carry the 3.6in barrel or 4in barrel model?

Hell everything you have listed here is more then possible with the Shield so personally I wouldn’t bother with the compact unless you just want the added capacity which is understandable.

That being said the difference in velocity between 3.6” vs 4” is going to be minimal at best, the larger sight radios of the 4” would be more beneficial then anything else.

25 yards is pretty standard shit for all three of the pistols listed here if you can’t hit a 3 zone in the center with the shield now then it’s all you and not the gun. If you can the you will easily hit it with either of the compacts.

Threaded barrels most likely will be aftermarket for the compacts so the market will probably support either option. If it only support the 4” it most likely would also work on the smaller 3.6” gun anyway.

The only thing it comes down to is concealing which the 3.6” makes it slightly easier especially appendix for me personally that would make my mind up on the shorter of the two. For what your looking to do either or is a solid option.
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 9th, 2018 at 11:02 PM.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman1eanda View Post
    I'm planning on purchasing a M&P Compact 9mm 2.0 and am trying to make a decision between the 3.6in barrel and 4in barrel. I've always carried a 3.1in shield and am unsure of which of these larger models to pick. Please consider my following questions/statements in your response and thank you for the advice!

1. Accuracy: I want to be able to comfortably make long range shots (25yds + in a Church defense situation). I'm guessing most people would say .4in won't make much of a difference when considering sight radius, but full size handguns are generally considered to be much easier to shoot accurately at longer ranges and the full size M&P is just 1.25in longer than the shield.

2. Thoughts on OWB or IWB? I am a thin and short guy (5ft7) . I do like to wear flannel shirts or leather jacket frequently. During the summer I'm not sure if I'd be able to get away with the compact under just a t-shirt but that's mostly a width/height of the grip concern, not overall length.

3. Accessories: Any weight to the idea that there might be more lights, red dot sights, etc., available for a 4in version over the 3.6in version? How easy would it be to try and get a threaded 3.6in barrel over a 4in barrel for secondary home defense purposes with a suppressor?
    A longer sight radius does make a difference. The shorter the barrel the more difference. If They have one I would add a CTC laser grip.

As to OWB Vs. IWB, No comment. It depends too much on exact body build and clothing style.

To put a suppressor on it you would need a new threaded barrel. I doubt the make one. And the time and expense.
    USNRET '61-'81

(York County)

The original M&P9c was only 3.5" I believe. The 9c I had was fantastic: very accurate, easy to conceal, and slick with an apex trigger. Unfortunately, my sister liked it even more than I did, and I'm now in the market for a 2.0 X 3.6" myself!

OWB or IWB is a personal preference. A single stack 8-10 rounder may be easier IWB. I prefer OWB with a jacket or dark shirt.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Other than whatever negligible difference in FPS and FPE the slightly shorter barrel will have, if you plan on IWB the smaller model will be better. Accuracy shouldn't be reduced that much either, not at close ranges anyway. As far as sights go, I almost aways put night sights on all of mine.