Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default 1400 Spring Garden St., State Office Building -- No CC?

Oops.

They've got this big, big, ridiculously big sign out front in the lobby that the building (looks like something Stalin might have built, really) is protected by Capitol Police, that firearms and explosives (Honey, what should I do with this C4?) are absolutely forbidden, and that all persons entering and packages carried into the building are subject to search.

Oops.

How do they get away with this stuff? I thought the only protected state buildings were in Harrisburg, and that that was by grace of some arguably illegal set of statutes?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: 1400 Spring Garden St., State Office Building -- No CC?

the state building in scranton is posted as well; i assumed it would be, though, so i wait in the van or in front of the building if i have to take my lady down there.

(Lackawanna County)

Is there some sort of court room in these buildings? If that is the case they might get away with it, however wouldn't they then have to provide some sort of storage facility?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by CZ40P View Post
    Is there some sort of court room in these buildings? If that is the case they might get away with it, however wouldn't they then have to provide some sort of storage facility?
    If the buildings are STATE controlled then I would think they could restrict firearms since the §6120 preemption only applies to government entities at county level and below.

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    I thought the only protected state buildings were in Harrisburg, and that that was by grace of some arguably illegal set of statutes?
    No it isn't the only protected building, so I am thinking the signs are legit:

The mission of the Capitol Police is to achieve a safe environment free of crime, to protect and serve employees and visitors while on state property, and to protect property and grounds throughout the Capitol Complex and at state office buildings in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Scranton. These services are accomplished by either bicycle patrol, foot patrol, K-9 patrol, or police vehicle patrol. It is the goal of the Capitol Police to provide to our customers the most effective service and protection within our means. It is important that the customers we serve have faith in us and be aware of all that the Capitol Police have to offer. It is the mission of the Capitol Police to perform these duties with integrity, diligence, compassion and professionalism and with the innovative use of technology.

http://www.dgs.state.pa.us/dgs/cwp/v...p?a=3&Q=115202

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    No it isn't the only protected building, so I am thinking the signs are legit:

The mission of the Capitol Police is to achieve a safe environment free of crime, to protect and serve employees and visitors while on state property, and to protect property and grounds throughout the Capitol Complex and at state office buildings in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and Scranton. These services are accomplished by either bicycle patrol, foot patrol, K-9 patrol, or police vehicle patrol. It is the goal of the Capitol Police to provide to our customers the most effective service and protection within our means. It is important that the customers we serve have faith in us and be aware of all that the Capitol Police have to offer. It is the mission of the Capitol Police to perform these duties with integrity, diligence, compassion and professionalism and with the innovative use of technology.

http://www.dgs.state.pa.us/dgs/cwp/v...p?a=3&Q=115202
    Well, then, if they're so eager to crush crime on their own turf that they think they can forbid me to protect myself once I cross their threshold, then they can meet me on my stoop and drive my ass in so that I don't have to do it for myself at all.

I love how SEPTA doesn't want you carrying on their system, and how Philly discourages CC, and goes apeshit over OC, but yet SCOTUS has affirmed that the police have no duty to protect individuals. As it is, the Capitol Police on duty at 1400 Spring Garden seem to hide like cornered rats in their armored kiosk at the back of the lobby.

(Indiana County)

If it's a Department of State building (i.e., protected by the Capitol Police), and it's not located in Harrisburg, then Title 49, Pa. Code, Section 61.3 applies: "The possession of firearms or other prohibited offensive weapons as defined in 18 Pa. C.S. § 908(c) (relating toprohibited offense weapons), while on the leased premises of the Department with the exception of State or Federal officers, in connection with the performance of an official duty, is prohibited. This prohibition does not apply to attorneys listed as counsel of record in connection with the offering of an exhibit in any administrative proceeding, if the counsel of record who intends to offer the item as an exhibit, has obtained written authorization from a hearing examiner to do so."

If it's a Department of State building (i.e., protected by the Capitol Police), and it's located in Harrisburg (i.e., the Capitol Complex), then Title 4, Pa. Code, Chapter 86 (probably Section 86.4) applies. Unfortunately, this cite is not on-line.

Since it's a Department of State regulation written by a bureaucrat, and not a law promulgated by the State Legislature, there is no requirement for firearms storage facilities.

And, since it's not created by a political subdivision of the state (county, city, borough or township, or entity created by such), preemption does not apply.

(Cumberland County)

Isn't there a federal statute prohibiting weapons on public transportation (planes, trains, buses and boats)?
    Upper Adams Fish and Game www.uafg.org

Quote Originally Posted by jb12string View Post
    Isn't there a federal statute prohibiting weapons on public transportation (planes, trains, buses and boats)?
    Only if it (the vehicle) goes interstate, I believe, and then you have to ask permission of the carrier beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    As it is, the Capitol Police on duty at 1400 Spring Garden seem to hide like cornered rats in their armored kiosk at the back of the lobby.
    Well It is Philly!!!
    (sorry Philly residents)