Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Managed recoil ammo

Anybody used this ammo to hunt deer with? Had internal defibrillator installed in my chest this summer due to congestive heart and being a candidate for cardiac arrest. Device has wires running to my heart. I have used my .270 Win for decades, but now don't want to jar my chest with recoil for fear of pulling wires out. Anybody seen it in stores in York or Adams counties? Would like to hear about any experience with this ammo. Really don't want to give up deer hunting yet. Thanks.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Managed recoil ammo

My younger brother has had an implanted defibrillator for over a decade and I have been with him when he has fired .308 Win., .223 and if I remember correctly 12 ga., 2 3/4" from his 11-87. You should be fine if you don't rest the butt of the gun on the device. I will call him and ask if he has made any adjustments to his shooting positions or buttstock placement due to his defib.

(Clarion County)

For those who face an implant in the future request that it be placed in the opposite side of your shooting shoulder.

Edit: Possibly find someone to teach you to reload. Many possible load variations available.
    Last edited by cephas; November 8th, 2018 at 09:00 AM.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Adams County)

Thank you for responding. Will be searching for a couple boxes this evening.

(Huntingdon County)

My grandfather has a implanted defibrillator and uses a .223 to hunt with. He wasn't happy he had to give up his 30-06 but at least he can still hunt.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

(Adams County)

I did have them install on my left side, being I shoulder my rifles to my right side. Didn't tell them why,as you never know where medical people stand on firearms. Most of my range trips from here on will be with my .22's and handguns. This year I will join the Hunters within 150 yards of the state forest Rd. Looks like my top of the ridge days are over! Will have to take my sweet time dragging! May look for one of those big wheel carts. Thanks for responding!

(Huntingdon County)

https://limbsaver.com/products/airte...fit-recoil-pad

You could try one of these as well.
    Because Failure Is Not An Option

(Adams County)

I understand his feelings. Giving up the use of a favorite,lucky deer rifle is a tough pill to swallow. Always at least see deer while carrying that .270 Ruger! Going to give that Managed Recoil Ammo a try this year. Thanks for the response!

(Bucks County)

I think you may be needlessly giving something up. Look up various "pacemaker club" and the like. There are people with implants who shoot shotgun sports. You should be good to go after six weeks post-op, from what I am reading. The interesting thing about shotgun sports is not only do they absorb recoil, they raise their arms upward...something you may have been told to avoid until stable.

Avoiding shooting discussion with your cardiology team members may not have served you well.

(Adams County)

I may reconsider a discussion with them. My surgery did not go well. Supposed to be a cake walk. 2 days after I was in ICU with lightning bolts across my chest. 21/2days testing to find out one of the wires had perforated my left ventricle and I was bleeding into my chest. Had to install chest tube and 6 days in the cardiac unit while they drained 2 1/2 litres of blood out of my chest! So much for a routine procedure! 😮

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast