Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default GP100 Speed loader Capable Grips

I recently acquired a Ruger GP100 in .357. It shipped with a set of Hogue finger groove grips. I wasn't a fan of the finger grooves so I went about looking for some grip replacements. I settled on a set of walnut (I think) checkered fingerless grips from the Thailandese guy on eBay that everyone on the web was recommending.

Well after waiting a month and a half I finally got the new grips, and they're.... underwhelming. The fit and finish on them is great. They sit tight to the frame, the checkering is excellent and they look great, but they're a bit chunky (and have a weird smell if I'm being nitpicky). I can't use any of my speed loaders with these grips. With the Hogue grips I had to put the speed loader in a very specific angle to get it to fit, but it would fit. There's no chance of that with the wood grips.

Is there anyone out there that make a set of wood grips for the GP100 that allow the use of speed loaders? I know I could switch to speed strips, but I already have 5 speedloaders. I'd hate to have to buy even more stuff.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: GP100 Speed loader Capable Grips

I don't know any wood ones, but I use the pachmyer rubber ones and have no issues with using speed loaders. You might want to look at the original style ones with the wood and rubber insert. They should work with the loaders and you can get custom inserts to fancy it up if that's what you want.

Have you looked at the grip that comes with the Match Champion? They're cut a little deeper to accommodate speed loaders.

http://shopruger.com/Ruger-GP100-Mat...uctinfo/19944/

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I don't know any wood ones, but I use the pachmyer rubber ones and have no issues with using speed loaders. You might want to look at the original style ones with the wood and rubber insert. They should work with the loaders and you can get custom inserts to fancy it up if that's what you want.
    If you go that route, look at Altamont's GP100 grips. They're shaped better than the Ruger grips and have more room for speed loaders.

(Allegheny County)

I came across a picture of those Altamont Walnut grips last night, but I wasn't quite sure they'd work with a speedloader or with my non target GP100. Guess I'll shoot them an email and ask. If the full wood grips are a no go, those half rubber ones don't look too bad. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    I came across a picture of those Altamont Walnut grips last night, but I wasn't quite sure they'd work with a speedloader or with my non target GP100. Guess I'll shoot them an email and ask. If the full wood grips are a no go, those half rubber ones don't look too bad. Thanks!
    Not sure about how well speed loaders would work with the walnut target grips, but they will fit your GP100. There is only one type of GP100 grip frame that I'm aware of. The rubber grips with the wood insert have a much deeper groove cut to accommodate speed loaders and moon clips.

(Lancaster County)

These are the original style rubber grips with wood insert with a little bit of an upgrade. If somebody told me before how much better they would feel with the backstrap textured I would have never believed them. I bought them from Altamont. As you can see speed loaders are not a problem.

Last edited by bripro; November 6th, 2018 at 11:37 PM.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    These are the original style rubber grips with wood insert with a little bit of an upgrade. If somebody told me before how much better they would feel with the backstrap textured I would have never believed them. I bought them from Altamont. As you can see speed loaders are not a problem.

I did the same by keeping the basic rubber grip and just replaced the wood insert with something much nicer.

http://chigsgrips.com/?page_id=8

A couple things - 1) You don't say what brand of speed loader you are using. I'd guess HKS. I've found that, in addition to being more efficient, the Safariland Comp loaders (I, II or III) are a bit slimmer through the body of the loader and thus have more clearance when trying to fit them to the cylinder. 2) Hogue makes grips without the finger grooves, or with a single (top) finger groove in all types of woods and textures. The grip on the Match Champion model is a stippled, non-finger groove Hogue.

If you are using speed loaders simply as a convenience at the range, then the speed with which loading can be accomplished isn't that important. If you are using your GP100 for SD or in gun games (IDPA, USPSA, ICORE, Steel), where speed of loading is an important factor, bite the $50 bullet and get rid of the HKS loaders and buy some Safariland ones. Sell the HKS's on eBay to help defray the expense.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

Pizza Bob speaks the truth, the Safariland speed loaders are superior.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001LZ5FI0?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast