Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Open Carry at the Polling Place

Hello,

I realize I'm cutting it close and should have asked earlier. I will also start by saying that I have read that it is legal to open carry at a polling place even if said place was a school. I'll start with my question and follow it up with a story from last year. If the polling place has a no weapons policy in place can one still carry at the polls while voting?

I vote at Bethany Village in Mechanicsburg, it is a retirement community. I believe they have it here so they don't have to bus the old people to polls to get them to vote. Last year I was open carrying to vote. Walked in talked to 2-3 people then stood in line for 5 min when I was confronted by "the guy running the polls." He told me that I wasn't allowed to have a weapon on me or open carry at the polls. As it is an intimidation tactic and that the facility is a weapon free zone. I argued that carrying while voting is happening all over PA today and that it wasn't illegal to carry while voting.

This is when he asked me to step out of line and continue to talk to him. I'm not trying to cause a scene so I did. It's also when I told him that I feel like he was trying to intimidate me into not voting and this is when he said he was going to call the constable. After making a phone call he said "Listen just go vote and get out of here" and moved me to the front of the line.

I would love to have printed out a pamphlet this time around that would point to where he is wrong if it comes up again this year. I can make one myself I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

TLR f the polling place has a no weapons policy in place can one still carry at the polls while voting? Voting at Bethany Village
    CZ Owner Walter Owner Remington Owner Lanco Tatical Owner

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Open Carry at the Polling Place

Quote Originally Posted by JcBook47 View Post
    Hello,

I realize I'm cutting it close and should have asked earlier. I will also start by saying that I have read that it is legal to open carry at a polling place even if said place was a school. I'll start with my question and follow it up with a story from last year. If the polling place has a no weapons policy in place can one still carry at the polls while voting?

I vote at Bethany Village in Mechanicsburg, it is a retirement community. I believe they have it here so they don't have to bus the old people to polls to get them to vote. Last year I was open carrying to vote. Walked in talked to 2-3 people then stood in line for 5 min when I was confronted by "the guy running the polls." He told me that I wasn't allowed to have a weapon on me or open carry at the polls. As it is an intimidation tactic and that the facility is a weapon free zone. I argued that carrying while voting is happening all over PA today and that it wasn't illegal to carry while voting.

This is when he asked me to step out of line and continue to talk to him. I'm not trying to cause a scene so I did. It's also when I told him that I feel like he was trying to intimidate me into not voting and this is when he said he was going to call the constable. After making a phone call he said "Listen just go vote and get out of here" and moved me to the front of the line.

I would love to have printed out a pamphlet this time around that would point to where he is wrong if it comes up again this year. I can make one myself I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

TLR f the polling place has a no weapons policy in place can one still carry at the polls while voting? Voting at Bethany Village
    There is no law prohibiting what you are asking. In my personal opinion, when a property owner makes their property available for use as a polling place, they temporarily cede their authority in deference to the legalities that surround the carrying out of the election. If a property owner had "No blue shirts" rule, would election officials enforce that too?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Berks County)

Here's my most recent article on the issue - https://blog.princelaw.com/2018/11/0...nd-its-lawful/
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    Here's my most recent article on the issue - https://blog.princelaw.com/2018/11/0...nd-its-lawful/
    Good article. Thanks.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

At least you'll get no grief from any of us poofa constables. Our judge of elections is a big 2A supporter. He and I would welcome any open carriers.

(Cumberland County)

Mr. Prince thank you for the article. I u. Def stand that polling staff wouldn't be able to stop me but what about an employee. Would it be possible for them to argue trespassing if they asked me to leave before voting?

Or since they are opening their doors to be a public venue they can not restrict our rights?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JcBook47 View Post
    ...After making a phone call he said "Listen just go vote and get out of here" and moved me to the front of the line.
    Sounds like an all around win to me.

(Indiana County)

I've always open carried at our polling place, never had anyone say anything (not like there's ever a crowd of people there).

(Warren County)

Happy Freedom!
    I open carried today while voting.
    My granddaughter (8 months old) supervised.
    My wife doesn't carry but she supports it.
    My daughter -in -law voted for the second time and SHE open carried.
    We hung out at the polls and had a bowl of soup and gossipped with our neighbors the poll workers.

It was a spectacular family outing!

TURNOUT: Normal midterm turnout is 20-30 people. They hit 60 with us at noon and more coming.

I'm excited because those are Trump rally turnout numbers for this corner of the woods.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    Thanks! Printed it out and took it vote with me!
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast