Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Red Flag Law Turns Deadly in Glen Bernie Maryland

It would seem that the police thought 5:15am was a good time to serve an ERPO on a man at his home. He answers the door with a handgun (someone pounding on the door at 5:15am in that area, I'd answer with a handgun too). The police then fight with the man, his handgun discharges not hitting anyone. The police open fire on the man, killing him before the paramedics could arrive.

So much for the Red Flag law saving lives.........

I'm sick to my stomach this morning.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Red Flag Law Turns Deadly in Glen Bernie Maryland

Cops traced my sons stolen new iPhone to a Glen Burnie neighborhood but wouldn't go in to retrieve as was between 2 houses and they weren't completely sure which one.

Perhaps the man is know for getting up early and leaving the house for work. That is the only reason I could see going at 0515 hrs. . IMO that is a poor time to serve a protection order, however not knowing all the facts about the emergency protection order, as well as the entire case, it hard to say at this time.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Lehigh County)

How about a link to news story ??
    --ET

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    How about a link to news story ??
    Here's one.

https://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/...olved-shooting

The reports have been updated a few times since the story broke this morning around 6am.

(Wyoming County)

I know this is Maryland, but I only have experience with PA Law Enforcement and I wanted to point out what now seems a little ironic.

In PA most "search warrrants" are to be carried out during daytime hours which are defined as 6am-10pm.

Special circumstances must be shown in order to get the warrant authorized outside of those hours. If I recollect correctly the term "High Risk" rings a bell, with the logic being that there is less likelihood that a confrontation will ensue if the warrant is executed in the wee hours of the morning.

What I find ironic now is that I realize from my own personal feelings that I am FAR more likely to be bearing arms at 2am than I am at 2pm if someone knocks on my door.

I'm just trying to shed some light on the time chosen and why, even though I don't agree with the logic.

Rule 205a(5) https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/2...ter2/s205.html
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I know this is Maryland, but I only have experience with PA Law Enforcement and I wanted to point out what now seems a little ironic.

In PA most "search warrrants" are to be carried out during daytime hours which are defined as 6am-10pm.

Special circumstances must be shown in order to get the warrant authorized outside of those hours. If I recollect correctly the term "High Risk" rings a bell, with the logic being that there is less likelihood that a confrontation will ensue if the warrant is executed in the wee hours of the morning.

What I find ironic now is that I realize from my own personal feelings that I am FAR more likely to be bearing arms at 2am than I am at 2pm if someone knocks on my door.

I'm just trying to shed some light on the time chosen and why, even though I don't agree with the logic.

Rule 205a(5) https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/2...ter2/s205.html

Doesn't PA have a Red Flag Law? If so, is there any guidance for those who would be Red Flagged? It does seem to be a very poor choice in the time they wanted to serve this protection order. In MD, it's not a warrant in the strictest sense of the word. Its an ERPO, Emergency Response Protective Order. The fact that it's not a warrant is why we have fought this law since it was being discussed as a Bill. As written, the police can remove all of your personal property (firearms and ammo) without a warrant and can postpone the court hearing indefinitely without recourse from the respondent.

(Wyoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_smith View Post
    Doesn't PA have a Red Flag Law? If so, is there any guidance for those who would be Red Flagged? It does seem to be a very poor choice in the time they wanted to serve this protection order. In MD, it's not a warrant in the strictest sense of the word. Its an ERPO, Emergency Response Protective Order. The fact that it's not a warrant is why we have fought this law since it was being discussed as a Bill. As written, the police can remove all of your personal property (firearms and ammo) without a warrant and can postpone the court hearing indefinitely without recourse from the respondent.
    Seems to me that PA just passed the same shit or what amounts to the same shit.

Anyway, I'm no legal scholar but I don't see the difference between a ERPO/PFA(Protection from Abuse) order and a search warrant. Both are writs signed by a Judge allowing the seizure of personal property. The PFA/ERPO just has goes beyond and serves as eviction, restraining order etc.

*I'm retired so my knowledge is lacking
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

From what I have read- I would treat this as a case of homicide. They knew full god-damned well what they were doing. If you (reading this) are in Maryland right now, it's time to get the fuck out.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Didnotcomply89 View Post
    From what I have read- I would treat this as a case of homicide. They knew full god-damned well what they were doing. If you (reading this) are in Maryland right now, it's time to get the fuck out.
    And Pennsylvania may not be far behind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast