Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Tioga County)

Default Pierce grip for the AR

The Stock grip for my Bushy AR is a bit small for me. I'm also a 1911 fan. I saw and add for a Pierce grip for the AR that would make it the same as a 1911. It came in the mail today. I took the old grip off. that takes a 3/16th hex straight up the grip.. when I tried to put the new grip on it was too tight. it looks like the lips were bent in a bit. Ok hammer time. it went on. The bolt that comes with the grip has a smaller hex fitting ( grumble) and it's not a straight shot you need a short L type hex wrench to get it on. Oh yes you need to take the side panels and finger insert off to get it on. so i get it tighten on amd reinstall the side panel. it feels good. Ok lets dry fire it once. oops the grip side panel is too tall to allow the safety to rotate to fire. I used one of those evil assault box cutters to trim to top off the grip. All's well that ends well, I suppose.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Pierce grip for the AR

Is it a good feel? Does it replicate the feel of a 1911?
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Westmoreland County)

I don't know what the pierce looks like but there is an issue with aftermarket grips that you need to consider.

The OEM grip geometry (the degree of angle) is extremely critical in that it places the trigger finger square to the face of the trigger. Stoner obviously put allot of thought into it but not many people understand how important it is which is why there are all manner of terribly designed aftermarket grips.

If the grip angle of the pierce or any aftermarket grip is greater or less than that of the OEM then you're going to have to break the angle of your wrist to compensate to get your trigger finger in proper relation to the trigger .............. which is not good. It can also make it more difficult to manipulate the safety / selector .............. which is not good.

The only aftermarket grips of which I'm aware that don't change the geometry are the magpul miad and the one made by tango down.

(Philadelphia County)

i've had good luck with the tango down battlegrip for the AR. Fills your hand and has a compartment for spare batteries.

(Lawrence County)

God bless the Ergo.......

(Tioga County)

Feels good. It does use the Pierce insert that has a set of mild finger grooves. the insert can be removed. The geometry fits me better. Yes, Stoner's angle is good for the average guy. the trouble is I ain't average. It does give a feel like my 1911 which also has the Pierce insert. The side panels that came with it are rubberized. the left panel had to be modified to clear the safety lever. you can use any standard 1911 panels with this grip. again the left one will need to be modified. Bear that in mind before you think about putting on some expensive panels with lots of bling.

I like it, yes!

I paid a little over $30 including shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Is it a good feel? Does it replicate the feel of a 1911?
    Last edited by rwilson452; March 3rd, 2007 at 01:36 AM.