Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Accurizing super blackhawk

I was using 240gr hard cast with red dot as my main plinking load, 240grain xtp with h110, and factory federal 240grain jacketed ammo. My groups at 25 yards may have been 6-8”. My groups at 50 yards were larger than the 12” x 12” targets I was shooting at lets put it that way haha. I have not measured my cylinder throats, I can tell you that a .430” bullet will get snagged when dropped in but fall through. I slugged the barrel and it measures .429”, but I just went back downstairs and it hangs up a bit when run it back through about an inch to 1.5” down from the muzzle and then will fall through the rest of the way. Also, I had some leading in the barrel towards the cylinder end of the barrel after shooting. Not sure what I would send it back for, I was thinking about emailing them and telling them I’m having some accuracy issues and see what they say/suggest.

(Lehigh County)

To follow up on Noah Zark's comment about the cylinder throats: Ruger normally does a decent job on the throats of 44 caliber guns. I have not found any of my 44mags to have tight throats, now Ruger 45 Colt guns are another story. Many of the 45 guns come through with tight throats that need to be opened up.
    Cylinder throats are much more of an issue if you are shooting cast lead bullets. Jacketed bullets don't normally shoot poorly through a tighter throat. It is not optimal but not nearly the accuracy sucking problem it is with cast bullets.

As asked by another poster, what ammunition are you shooting?

(Northampton County)

Throat size would be good to know in order to choose a proper lead bullet. Depending upon bullet size and hardness your load may not be producing enough pressure and could be the cause of the leading. What size and hardness are the hard cast?

Factory Federal ammo should group reasonably well all else being equal. As was stated earlier, single actions definitely take a little getting used to but are worth it.

The hard casts are .430” and I believe 24 on hardness, I could be wrong on the latter.

(Northampton County)

24 BHN seems awfully hard, I try to stay around 15 BHN with my magnums and have no leading issues. If your bullets are also less than throat diameter that would account for the leading.

(Lehigh County)

.430 in an uncoated hard cast is too small for most Ruger 44s. That is a sure fire recipe for leading and poor accuracy.

Every one of my Ruger 44s (5 of them) needs at a bare minimum of .431 (although .4315 or .4320 are best) to achieve their best accuracy.

I have a box of .430 240gr BBSWCs that I bought with my first 44. Out of any of my Rugers they throw patterns not groups. This is true even with the gun I was able to shoot a sub 3” 100 yard group with (off the bench of course).
    Last edited by 98Redline; November 7th, 2018 at 10:50 AM.

I’ll pick up some larger softer bullets, thanks guys, didn’t even think about that since these shot great in all my other 44 mag guns.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 03machstock View Post
    I’ll pick up some larger softer bullets, thanks guys, didn’t even think about that since these shot great in all my other 44 mag guns.
    Best bet would be to measure your throats first. Where do you normally get your bullets?

I get them from kings shooters supply in king of prussia, I believe they only make them in .430 though, do you guys have any suggestions on where to get them? Also, any idea on where to get cheap pin or plug gauge sets to measure throats? I’m assuming that’s the best way to measure.

(Lehigh County)

It really sounds like the issues you have with your Blackhawk are ones that you could easily correct with firelapping. In fact the issues seem so common as to be almost cliche.

Here is a great guide on the process: http://www.gunblast.com/FerminGarza-Firelapping.htm

When I purchased my Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter, it had exactly the same issues you are describing.
    - Groups that started off acceptable but quickly opened up with continued shooting
    - Leading in the first couple of inches of the barrel
    - A slight constriction about mid way down the barrel, under the warning label rollmark.

After reading the above linked article I purchased a firelapping kit from Beartooth bullets.
    I would shoot 6, pull the gun apart and scrub the heck out of the bore to ensure I had removed any lead that was deposited and repeat with 6 more rounds.
    Every 25 rounds I would slug the bore again and check the constriction.
    That process continued for 100 rounds at which time I could no longer feel the constriction when pounding through a pure lead sinker.

After lapping the bore looked like a mirror when you looked down the barrel.
    Leading was non existent (with properly sized bullets), regardless of how many rounds were put downrange.
    Cleanup required 2-3 patches total. Literally nothing is left in the bore but a hint of unburnt powder flakes and a bit of soot.
    Best of all this gun will now shoot sub 3" 100 yard groups off the bench.

As for a source for bullets, my go to is Beartooth in .432". I am a fan of heavy for caliber bullets and have been very impressed with their 300g WFN GC bullet although the 280g WFN GC and the 250g SWC have been decent performers as well.

You can buy individual pin gagues on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Vermont-Gage-...age%2Bset&th=1
    Last edited by 98Redline; November 8th, 2018 at 07:35 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast