Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Man wins case vs. ATF - IMPORTANT READ

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    Why not? Fire it up!
    Maybe Santa will be good to me this year.

My main concern is the barrel will cook up fast. There is not much to hold there.

Add a fore grip.......instant SBR.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The problem with that is that she probably thought that she had destroyed the rifle, not created a short but functional rifle.

You don't have to know that your act is illegal to be successfully prosecuted, but you have to know that you're performing the act. If I didn't know that it was illegal to sell heroin, but I knew I was selling it, I'm guilty. But if I genuinely thought it was baby powder or ginseng, and was selling it at baby powder or ginseng prices, I have a good defense, because I was unaware that I was committing the bad act.

It's illegal to knowingly manufacture an unregistered SBR (with obvious exceptions). I don't commit that crime if I drop a Title I rifle into a wood chipper and it gets mangled but will still fire 1 shot. I'm also not culpable if I believe that cutting the barrel off will disable the gun, so that it's not a rifle because it won't function any more. Lots of machines will cease function if you remove parts, it's reasonable for an ignorant hoplophobe to assume the same applies to guns. See how well your revolver works if you remove the cylinder or trigger or a few springs.

On the other hand, that idiot talking head who brought a functional 30-round magazine into DC and showed it on live TV, HE knew what he was doing, and it's absurd that they let him off without prosecution. I don't care if he lacked criminal intent and that he was only doing it in aid of more gun control, he knew that he had a prohibited mag in DC.
    Would she have to meet the standard of reasonable people would believe shortening the rifle barrel would destroy it? Seems like everyone knows sawed offs are illegal.

Also, if you improperly but unknowingly demilitarized a receiver is "I thought it was destroyed" a defense?
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I'm hearing reasons that what he used does not constitute a brace but he won his case? Or am I missing something?

Yes I read the same thing. This should be a thread about how it’s been adjudicated and it’s ok to cane tip that brace. Looks like hell imho.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps View Post
    Maybe Santa will be good to me this year.

My main concern is the barrel will cook up fast. There is not much to hold there.

Add a fore grip.......instant SBR.
    I use the short, free floating keymod rails and keymod grip covers. The grip covers help to keep you from touching the hot aluminum. Without them, after about 80 continuous rounds, the pistol gets too hot to hold up front. They do help.

The other thing is, I've never seen pistol barrels so cheap as now. Get one or two and burn 'em up with some magpul or Norinco drums and your binary trigger! No guilt

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by gun-bunny View Post
    I use the short, free floating keymod rails and keymod grip covers. The grip covers help to keep you from touching the hot aluminum. Without them, after about 80 continuous rounds, the pistol gets too hot to hold up front. They do help.

The other thing is, I've never seen pistol barrels so cheap as now. Get one or two and burn 'em up with some magpul or Norinco drums and your binary trigger! No guilt
    $338(sans Romeo 5) total cost.

20180828_123204 (1024x576).jpg

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

I doubt that ATF has ever approved the use of a cane tip installed with a Maxim arm brace for use while shooting. There may be a stand-alone approval of the slip-on cane tip for use while in a safe (answers have to be viewed in conjunction with the questions asked), and a separate approval of the unaltered Maxim arm brace, but ATF isn't bound by the extrapolations of 3rd parties.

Mr. Wright's lawyer got paid well, and his expert witness got paid well, but Mr. Wright probably regrets not spending the $200 on a Form 1.

The lesson here is that ATF didn't suddenly choose to prosecute a guy for using a device that had been approved for how he was using it. He modified it.

ETA: More info here; Wright had a court-appointed lawyer, so he's probably only out bail and lost income and such.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...zXkeKfoQqU6GxA
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; November 2nd, 2018 at 07:59 PM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I doubt that ATF has ever approved the use of a cane tip installed with a Maxim arm brace for use while shooting. There may be a stand-alone approval of the slip-on cane tip for use while in a safe (answers have to be viewed in conjunction with the questions asked), and a separate approval of the unaltered Maxim arm brace, but ATF isn't bound by the extrapolations of 3rd parties.

Mr. Wright's lawyer got paid well, and his expert witness got paid well, but Mr. Wright probably regrets not spending the $200 on a Form 1.

The lesson here is that ATF didn't suddenly choose to prosecute a guy for using a device that had been approved for how he was using it. He modified it.
    I agree and have wanted to bang my head on the wall for the last two days trying to explain that to all the monkeys with keyboards who now think we are all going to go to jail for having a pistol brace even if approved.

In the end Ohio needs to fix some of their laws especially when it comes to the definition of a "firearm" if they had one like PA then this may have never of happened.

(Tioga County)

My question is how this guy even got on their radar to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    My question is how this guy even got on their radar to begin with?
    Goto the second page at the top. It’s explained on how Ohio gun laws don’t follow federal.

Just far enough from Philly, Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    To be able to stand the gun up in the safe without it slipping. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.
    This is just one great example of why this is one of my favorite forums on the inter-webs.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast