Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: Man wins case vs. ATF - IMPORTANT READ

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The problem with that is that she probably thought that she had destroyed the rifle, not created a short but functional rifle.

You don't have to know that your act is illegal to be successfully prosecuted, but you have to know that you're performing the act. If I didn't know that it was illegal to sell heroin, but I knew I was selling it, I'm guilty. But if I genuinely thought it was baby powder or ginseng, and was selling it at baby powder or ginseng prices, I have a good defense, because I was unaware that I was committing the bad act.

It's illegal to knowingly manufacture an unregistered SBR (with obvious exceptions). I don't commit that crime if I drop a Title I rifle into a wood chipper and it gets mangled but will still fire 1 shot. I'm also not culpable if I believe that cutting the barrel off will disable the gun, so that it's not a rifle because it won't function any more. Lots of machines will cease function if you remove parts, it's reasonable for an ignorant hoplophobe to assume the same applies to guns. See how well your revolver works if you remove the cylinder or trigger or a few springs.

On the other hand, that idiot talking head who brought a functional 30-round magazine into DC and showed it on live TV, HE knew what he was doing, and it's absurd that they let him off without prosecution. I don't care if he lacked criminal intent and that he was only doing it in aid of more gun control, he knew that he had a prohibited mag in DC.
    I appreciate the clarification. I am now (slightly) less pissed off.

As for Sir Bag-of-douche in DC, I'm still pissed about that one.

(Washington County)

Everybody knows you can't go modifying these braces to make them better to shoulder. Everybody knows they're a SBR workaround, and everybody knows they get shouldered, but once you modify it to make a better stock, you're asking for it. The only reason they got approved in the first place was because they make a shitty stock. Don't poke the bear.

That said, put me on the jury and he's not guilty. Why? Because fuck ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Everybody knows you can't go modifying these braces to make them better to shoulder.
    I just learned about the existence of pistol braces in this thread today.

I suppose there is a small possibility that I was the only person left in the world who didn't know about them. Seems somewhat unlikely.

(Northampton County)

what he said....

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    To be able to stand the gun up in the safe without it slipping. That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

Personally, if I'm gonna shoulder my AR pistol, I can do so with just a buffer tube. Sure, it might be more accurate with something that *resembles* a stock, but it's a 7" barrel, not a "reach out and touch someone" tack driver.

My 2¢
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post

I suppose there is a small possibility that I was the only person left in the world who didn't know about them. Seems somewhat unlikely.
    You live in NY. You and your fellow subjects probably can't have an AR pistol, so you wouldn't have any need for a brace. Those of us in free America discuss them at length.

(Washington County)

I'd wager you're correct, in that you weren't the actual last person on the planet to learn what a pistol brace is... you may actually be the last on this forum, however.

(Berks County)

Don't sweat it, I only found out a few months ago.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Berks County)

Cane tips have been approved by ATF for use on buffer tubes for almost a decade that I am aware of. Just do a google search and you'll find the ATF letters and LOTS of discussion of them. I believe the first approval was Oct 13, 2009, but there may have been ones before.
    Joshua Prince, Esq. - Firearms Industry Consulting Group - www.PaFirearmsLawyer.com

(Lackawanna County)

I finally built an AR pistol because the brace nonsense was finally sorted out(at this moment in time).
    Now, do I drop a binary trigger in this one? I like the one in the carbine.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by qmcorps View Post
    I finally built an AR pistol because the brace nonsense was finally sorted out(at this moment in time).
    Now, do I drop a binary trigger in this one? I like the one in the carbine.
    Why not? Fire it up!
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast