We're not quite through this yet, but it sure looks like it's going to have a better ending than it could.

I won a Ruger LC9s at a friends of the NRA dinner. I wound up liking it very much and used it as a carry piece. As my luck would have it, the slide started to get some light rust. I cleaned it up and it looked good, but then I saw a Cerakote LC9s in a silver/grey that caught my eye. I figured it was a good time to trade up. My dealer had gotten a great deal on the other version and the didn't cost me a lot of money to switch into the new one.

The weekend before last, I couldn't get the new LC9s to chamber a round. I took it apart and reassembled several times but could not get the problem solved. Ruger Customer Service said they wanted it back to check it out. They sent a FedEx tag, and I dropped it off at a FedEx station. (A real one....not a store)

When I didn't hear from Ruger in a couple days...I checked the tracking number. It's last known location was the Memphis facility. I called FedEx on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and again this morning. They don't know where it is. I stopped at my local FFL today for some advice. They suggested I contact my local Police Department and explain the situation to them so that the firearm can be placed on a missing/stolen list. I went to the Police station today and later an officer came to the house to get a written statement.

By this time, I had again called Ruger. Ruger also had been in touch with FedEX, and they say it's unlikely it will turn up at this point. Ruger said that on Monday, they will again contact FedEx and if it has not been found...they will send a new LC9s to the FFL of my choosing. They also mentioned that they have none in stock like mine...so they will build one for me! I mentioned that customer service told me to also put the extra magazine I had bought in the box when I shipped the gun. Ruger replied that they will make sure two magazines are with the new one. Even better....I need to call after I get the new one so that they can refund the cost of the background check.

I had to share this with others as Ruger keeps changing my thinking on what to expect for customer service. We're all so used to getting bad service...Ruger steps to the plate.