Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default suggestions on affordable ar-15

hey all. I tried searching but there is simply way to much for me to sift through. basically I'm thinking of getting a rifle for range duty/zombie invasions (yea i've been reading the threads in the lounge too much). I don't have alot of $$ to work with so what do you guys reccomend? What is the best bang (lol pun) for buck here? thanks in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: suggestions on affordable ar-15

suggestion 1: buy a "kit" gun and assemble it yourself.

assembling a lower from a stripped lower and a lower parts kit (LPK) is very easy. given that you are an auto mechanic and used to working with your hands on machinery, it will be extremely easy for you. prolly take you 30 minutes the first time you do it.

assembling an upper is also pretty easy, but requires special tools.

however, you can get "complete rifle" kits that come with a fully assembled upper and a lower parts kit. you can get all this without an FFL transfer as it is the stripped lower that is legally considered the "gun".

so, you buy a stripped lower (which generally runs somewhere around $100) and have that transfered through an FFL. then you can buy either a complete rifle kit, or you can buy an LPK, butt stock, and complete upper separately. and build the rifle on your stripped lower.

suggestion 2: take a look at stag. they aren't the absolute cheapest, but they are pretty inexpensive and very high quality. i am very happy with my stag. i got it as a stripped lower plus a complete rifle kit off of the equipment exchange on AR15.com. i forget exactly what i paid, but somewhere around $800. you can get one cheaper than that, though. there are several people on this board who have bought the delton kit and seem to be happy with it, and it is, i think, a bit cheaper.

(Chester County)

For a cheap AR-15, build one yourself. get yourself a lower from http://www.anvilarms.com/ and a parts kit from here.

If you just want cheap blasting, get an SKS.

Can be had for about $600, building it is easy. If you've got a little macguyver in your you don't really need any special tools.

I had punches laying around but I tend to use 1/8" drill bits for tapping the FCG pins in and out, and I used a strap wrench to muscle my float tube on.

Now that it's sighted in it's pretty damn accurate...can hit 8"x8" gong at 300 yards offhand in about 2-3 shots now...200 I've done on first shot before and 100 yards as well

I get so much more enjoyment out of shooting my rifle than any other gun I have.

When I build my 20" DCM A2 upper I'll likely be assembling the upper piece by piece and may get all the tools to 'do it right' but on the cheap there are ways around it.
    Last edited by Kaos; October 3rd, 2008 at 12:14 PM.

(Mercer County)

take a look at doublestar they are very affordable and good quality. all U.S. made parts you really cant beat them for the price.

www.star15.com

try j & t distributing for a kit. Its the same as doublestar but they dont sell complete rifles.
    http://jtdistributing.net/index.html
    Last edited by elitefirearms; October 3rd, 2008 at 12:54 PM.
    14OO N. HERMITAGE RD, HERMITAGE,PA 724-962-1776......STOP BY AND SEE US SOME TIME

(Adams County)

I recently put a Stag Model 1 on layaway. If you know of a store that carries Stag, take a look. PM me if you're interested in the details of my purchase.

Keith
    Zeroing for Zombies
    PAFOA PROUD!
    USMV M/C

(Philadelphia County)

You can build an complete AR-15 for about $650-$700 with a Rifle kit and other parts from http://www.del-ton.com/.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Aim Surplus (www.aimsurplus.com) has already assembled del-ton carbines for 670 right now... Seems like a good option seeing as how its already put together. I got my bushmaster 20" HBAR A3 for 860 when I bought it. There are a lot of options out there for "cheap" Ar15's IMO. Its all about what you want.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    For a cheap AR-15, build one yourself. get yourself a lower from http://www.anvilarms.com/ and a parts kit from here.

If you just want cheap blasting, get an SKS.
    Best bang for the buck. I have used a lot of Stag and RRA lowers, but the offerings from Anvil are immaculate. I would not hesitate to use them.

Lycanyouguysaregettinggoodatthisthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

thanks for the replies guys. when you purchase these parts kits do they come with instructions? I've found some videos on youtube but they aren't that great.

*edit* found a good video finally on assembling a stripped lower. looks super easy! still looking for upper...
    Last edited by autotech6506; October 3rd, 2008 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast