Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: My dad lives in NJ and is moving with guns

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    If the Father gives him the guns that should be the end of it. Why would it matter what state either of them live in? Why would anyone need to know about what a father gives to his son? It's no one else's business.
    Totally agree in principle, but it's important to note that Federal law requires just a bit more than happy thoughts.

In the old days, that kind of comment got you at least a warning, but I think these days the posted rules are just for historical reference, much like the rest of the info on this site outside of the forum.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    If he is moving, and staying in NJ (to live I suspect), why doesn't he just move the guns to his new home?
    He's using movers and putting in storage for a few weeks while living in a hotel. He needs to put them somewhere. I have two sisters that live in nj but neither have a FID card.

(Bucks County)

It would be perfectly legal for your dad to transport his firearms to a gunsmith in Pa. (a place of repair) for maintenance, say a detail strip and clean.
    It would be a very convenient time to get his firearms serviced as they would be out for repair while he uproots his entire life and restarts same in a different home.

He's not the first guy that's done this. After the move is complete, he can pick his firearms up from the gunsmith and return home. No pics/nics is required as the guns were in for repair/service.
    If this is a possibility, let me know- I know a guy.
    Also, I know your a drummer. If you bring in a bass player maybe we can work something out...
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    It would be perfectly legal for your dad to transport his firearms to a gunsmith in Pa. (a place of repair) for maintenance, say a detail strip and clean.
    It would be a very convenient time to get his firearms serviced as they would be out for repair while he uproots his entire life and restarts same in a different home.

He's not the first guy that's done this. After the move is complete, he can pick his firearms up from the gunsmith and return home. No pics/nics is required as the guns were in for repair/service.
    If this is a possibility, let me know- I know a guy.
    Also, I know your a drummer. If you bring in a bass player maybe we can work something out...
    This seems like the best legal and practical solution.

Also keep note there's no exemption for transporting hollow points while moving... I don't doubt NJ would throw the book at someone who's obeyed the law for 77 years over it either.

Ever consider these guys...

https://www.gunsitters.com/

Legal, located in NJ and PA. Not sure of cost - worth looking into.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

I would avoid option that involves the FFL and transfer back to him as new address means new FID, which means a couple month grey zone of guns sitting in purgatory.

Is he north/central/south?
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    Okay, I have a few questions how to handle this. My dad lives in NJ and is moving in 3 weeks, but sadly he's staying in NJ. However, he wants to store the guns at my home in pa for 3 to 6 months and I know that simply can't be done.

I have read if he keeps them in a safe that only he holds the keys it can be or is that false?

What's the best way to handle this for now, as he's 77 years old and eventually wants to will them to me.
    Just have him "sell them" to you for $1. Transfer them via FFL and offer to take him shooting with them any time he wants to go.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    I would avoid option that involves the FFL and transfer back to him as new address means new FID, which means a couple month grey zone of guns sitting in purgatory.

Is he north/central/south?
    Also worry about Obama era regulation where SS disability recipients who have their finances handled by another party can be denied. Not sure if that applies.

He has two daughters, neither of whom can put him up for a couple weeks? If he stayed with one of them he could keep his guns with him, right?

Just curious, what would dad need to do if he moved to PA, either with you or to a place of his own? Wouldn’t he just move them just like furniture?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    Also worry about Obama era regulation where SS disability recipients who have their finances handled by another party can be denied. Not sure if that applies.

He has two daughters, neither of whom can put him up for a couple weeks? If he stayed with one of them he could keep his guns with him, right?
    Not pistols, from my understanding they can only be where FID address is listed. Would love to see what the NJSP would have to suggest on this.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast