Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Hammer Springs

(Chester County)

Question Hammer Springs

Does anyone know what the weight is for the P250 hammer spring? I’ve tried searching but can’t seem to find the answer. I’ve seen that the trigger pull weight is around 6lbs but that’s not the same as the hammer spring.

Secondary question, if the P250 DAO trigger is a 6lb pull, why wouldn’t the DA on a DA/SA trigger be 6lbs? I’m assuming this would result in a 1lb SA pull. Can someone explain how this works?

(York County)

Default Re: Hammer Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkowboys View Post
    Does anyone know what the weight is for the P250 hammer spring? I’ve tried searching but can’t seem to find the answer. I’ve seen that the trigger pull weight is around 6lbs but that’s not the same as the hammer spring.

Secondary question, if the P250 DAO trigger is a 6lb pull, why wouldn’t the DA on a DA/SA trigger be 6lbs? I’m assuming this would result in a 1lb SA pull. Can someone explain how this works?
    Are you asking about the inner spring or the outer spring ? My understanding of the P250 is that it uses a dual spring set up for the hammer. See attachment for parts 18 and 19.
    The P250 is a Double Action Only pistol, it does not have a single action pull. Every trigger pull is the same for every round fired.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DClan; October 26th, 2018 at 12:52 PM.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    Are you asking about the inner spring or the outer spring ? My understanding of the P250 is that it uses a dual spring set up for the hammer. See attachment for parts 18 and 19.
    The P250 is a Double Action Only pistol, it does not have a single action pull. Every trigger pull is the same for every round fired.
    I am curious on the weight for both springs. Though I have to admit I am not very familiar with a two spring system and how they function together.

My 2nd question was poorly worded, I’m curious why the p250 can have a 6lb day pull but a gun like the p229 has a 10lb DA pull? Couldn’t this gun have reduced springs to create 6lb DA pull similar to a P250 pull?

(Chester County)

Thanks for the schematic. That was helpful.

(York County)

"My 2nd question was poorly worded, I’m curious why the p250 can have a 6lb day pull but a gun like the p229 has a 10lb DA pull? Couldn’t this gun have reduced springs to create 6lb DA pull similar to a P250 pull?"

The P250 is a more modern pistol, built with a different style of mechanism using a spring design that has a secondary hammer spring that cocks on loading which allows for a lighter trigger pull ( my understanding ). The P226/229 design is an evolution of Sigs original DA/SA trigger system, single hammer/main spring that must be overcome on the trigger draw. Even though both the P250 and the P226/229 are both hammer fired, they are very different systems.
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM