So my girlfriend(has a LTC permit) had some trouble with people trespassing and dumping tires on her property. She asked for my advice as to how to respond to the trespass.

Now, I had the basic "call the cops" discussion with her. She understands, but wants to go out and tell them off or advise them not to trespass.. I suggested that she shouldn't do so without being armed just in case.

That said, it got me thinking about responding to noises or trespassing around the home property whether a rifle or handgun is best. I regularly OC a pistol at home and would feel comfortable going out to investigate with a holstered gun. My girlfriend doesn't wear a gun. How would someone like that go out to investigate? Hold handgun gun low? Hold behind back? Is that legit enough to satisfy the law. Not pointing it at the perp I mean......

What about going out with a rifle? This is a whole different issue. Two hands on gun at the low ready? Is this legal enough to not cause a problem if the perp goes and calls the cops on you? Holding a rifle seems totally different that having a holstered weapon.

I suspect that while on your property, you should be able to carry a rifle out for personal protection and defense of your property. If it ends up just being some dumb teens and they claim they had a rifle pointed at them it could be an issue.

Just to clarify... The question I pose to all here is how to investigate a situation on your property(outside your home) with a weapon IN HAND- please cover both rifle and handgun concepts.

Thoughts?