Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: rifle vs unholstered handgun for checking out trespass situation

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    I really appreciate all the employs to this thread....

I really feel that the holstered weapon along with a good light in hand is the best way to go. The problem is that not all woman wear jeans with a strong belt around the house. In the summer, she is barely dressed in a string tee and slip on cotton lounging shorts. Winter is a bit different, but she only wears jeans for going out wear. I would need to get her a quick donning holster of some type. Maybe it's time to go to the invention room and build one.

I'm thinking a velcro belt with attached holster. grab, wrap and go. Maybe even a flashlight and cell phone pouch.

You could get your girlfriend a set of machine gun jubblies.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Unless this is a dirt bag business that is just throwing tires in one spot all the time I would bet this is a dump magnet location and there are many throwing garbage and tires there. A dump magnet is a place that already has debris located there, is easy to access and is remote enough to conceal the perps. We do clean ups on forestry roads or at least we did before it became a waste of time when landfill prices went sky high.
    We found that if you clean the place up, (using Cleanscape grants or asking for volunteer help from Watershed Groups, etc and the municipality), you can then bar access from the site using large rocks, trees, etc so they can't pull off the road then placard it with signs showing was an illegal dump and try your hand at game cameras. Conceal carry in daylight. Stealth observe looking for license plates at night if you find them on your property. Call the police to document all the activity but avoid a confrontation over garbage that could get you on the nightly news. Any of these punks trespassing and dumping on your property could easily be carrying legal or illegal and may be drinking or high on the drug of the day. It isn't worth it and it's hard as hell to stop once it starts but it can be done the right way!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Montgomery County)

In the summer, she is barely dressed in a string tee and slip on cotton lounging shorts.
    Can't believe no one said it yet...
    Guess I gotta step up and get it done for team Poof :P

"Pics or it didn't happen"
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Beaver County)

Put up a "used tires for sale" sign, make some money.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    As far as confronting illegal dumpers, that's rolling the dice - you really have no idea how they will react.

Someone here once told of a place (salvage yard?) that was being routinely broken into and when confronted by the armed owner/employee (I forget), the thieves just laughed in his face and dared him to shoot them as they made their way out.
    Not everyone is scared of having a gun pointed at them, and some are willing to take that gun and shove it up your ass if they sense hesitation on your part.
    I guess in this scenario you make sure you have an untraceable knife to place in the criminals hand, after he gets shot.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    I guess in this scenario you make sure you have an untraceable knife to place in the criminals hand, after he gets shot.
    Thats wrong and illegal and Walmart sells a $1.99 lockback lightweight, black plastic, one-hand-opening, scary looking thing in their camping section. I keep one in every vehicle, every Bugout bag, and as part of my EDC.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

So my girlfriend(has a LTC permit) had some trouble with people trespassing and dumping tires on her property. She asked for my advice as to how to respond to the trespass.

Now, I had the basic "call the cops" discussion with her. She understands, but wants to go out and tell them off or advise them not to trespass.. I suggested that she shouldn't do so without being armed just in case.

That said, it got me thinking about responding to noises or trespassing around the home property whether a rifle or handgun is best. I regularly OC a pistol at home and would feel comfortable going out to investigate with a holstered gun. My girlfriend doesn't wear a gun. How would someone like that go out to investigate? Hold handgun gun low? Hold behind back? Is that legit enough to satisfy the law. Not pointing it at the perp I mean......

What about going out with a rifle? This is a whole different issue. Two hands on gun at the low ready? Is this legal enough to not cause a problem if the perp goes and calls the cops on you? Holding a rifle seems totally different that having a holstered weapon.

I suspect that while on your property, you should be able to carry a rifle out for personal protection and defense of your property. If it ends up just being some dumb teens and they claim they had a rifle pointed at them it could be an issue.

Just to clarify... The question I pose to all here is how to investigate a situation on your property(outside your home) with a weapon IN HAND- please cover both rifle and handgun concepts.

Thoughts?
    It's really best not to be confrontational when it comes to firearms. Maybe set up a security camera and catch these individuals and have them prosecuted. Definitely not a good situation I hope they stop bothering your gf and whatnot. Again, they're breaking the law, it's a police matter.

IMO to the second part of your question, handgun, holstered with the safety off and strap open and rifle shouldn't matter how it's carried just don't point it at anyone. Like I said before though, in this type of situation since it's not a physical threat to her, at least not seemingly, just get the police involved and be done with it.

I know I'm late to the party but here's my opinion. I would not want to be the one who has to explain in court why I armed myself specifically to go chase off trespassers who were no specific threat to me at the time. That seems like escalating the situation. now if you are already a regular carrier and you go to investigate some sort of noise and you are carrying because you always do then if things escalate to a true self defense situation it isn't because you escalated it.

(Bucks County)

Necro floodlights with a motion sensor.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere. Voltaire

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast