Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Goldenrod in a crowded safe

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    I have a device like that, but it fills up in little time, so much so I find it almost worthless. I do not want to be going into the safe all of the time, I want to set it and forget it.
    If I had a safe that I wasn't in all the time, I'd agree. However I'm into mine at least once a week.
    Plus I think for the one I'm in frequently, I'll get two new ones, and I'll stagger when I take them out to recharge. That way at least one is always "working."

I'm wondering though, is there any efficacy to having both a heater only (golden rod) and a dessicant.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Bucks County)

Goldenrods are NOT dehumidifiers. They are just a heater that raises the temperature of your safe a few degrees. This is good at certain times of the year like when the safe contents are cold and you open the door to humid warmer air. Thats when you get condensation.

Other times of the year it does nothing. The amount of moisture in your safe will be the same as what is in your room.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Goldenrod in a crowded safe

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    If I had a safe that I wasn't in all the time, I'd agree. However I'm into mine at least once a week.
    Plus I think for the one I'm in frequently, I'll get two new ones, and I'll stagger when I take them out to recharge. That way at least one is always "working."

I'm wondering though, is there any efficacy to having both a heater only (golden rod) and a dessicant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Goldenrods are NOT dehumidifiers. They are just a heater that raises the temperature of your safe a few degrees. This is good at certain times of the year like when the safe contents are cold and you open the door to humid warmer air. Thats when you get condensation.

Other times of the year it does nothing. The amount of moisture in your safe will be the same as what is in your room.
    This is the essence of the issue. Goldenrods or other heaters raise the temperature which typically keeps us from reaching the dew point, which is the temperature where condensation occurs. We do not want condensation on our guns, etc. Dessicants remove moisture from the air, and drier air has a lower dew point.

Warm dry air in the 50% humidity arena is where we want to be to preserve our goodies. In my house temperature is not as important as removing moisture, since my safe is in a heated space, so I have the rotating dessicant system in use. If my safe was in the basement I would probably include a Goldenrod or other heater as it is cooler down there.

Which combination works for you will depend on where you live and where your stash is located. Both have their place in the scheme of things. If your safe is located in a warm conditioned space where you are comfortable year round with heat and air conditioning, you may not need either one of these.
    Last edited by gghbi; October 20th, 2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Delaware County)

I would have gone with 2 12's, for the simple effect of if one goes down at least you have some protection with the other.
    But then I still use one of these after over 9 years...

Probably should get a couple more.
    Costco just had these on sale 2 for $15.99. Regular price was $18.99. I've been using them for several years. They work well for my needs.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Quote Originally Posted by STBear View Post
    Costco just had these on sale 2 for $15.99. Regular price was $18.99. I've been using them for several years. They work well for my needs.
    can't find 'em on their site, sadly. at that price I'd be all over another set.

(Bucks County)

I have always used large desiccant packs and have never had a problem with rust or mildew in my safes provided I tossed the packs in the oven once in a while to recharge them

(Franklin County)

I have a device like that, but it fills up in little time, so much so I find it almost worthless. I do not want to be going into the safe all of the time, I want to set it and forget it.
    I assume you have electric inside the safe, to power your goldenrods. Liberty actually recommends the Eva-Dry, continuously plugged in, for use in their safes. That's what I do.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

According to the NRA:
    50% humidity at 70 degrees is considered ideal "Arms Museum" storage conditions.

Any dryer then that, and you will have problems with wood stocks drying out and shrinking / checking.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...y-level.24411/
    Thank you! I had it set at 65, but i will adjust to 50, especially given the high humidity we had.... for like 5 months in a row this year.

(Warren County)

I would have gone with 2 12's, for the simple effect of if one goes down at least you have some protection with the other.
    But then I still use one of these after over 9 years...

Probably should get a couple more.
    Do these have an option to run a small hose and drain the condensate outside?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Do these have an option to run a small hose and drain the condensate outside?
    I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding on how these work.
    they're glorified desiccant packages, with built in heaters that are used to "renew" them by drying them out on occasion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast