Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Goldenrod in a crowded safe

First off, I need another safe like many here, but that is another story. for another thread

I have been using a 12 inch Liberty heating element for the past 6 years, and noticed in my Liberty SafeElert that the humidity was rising. Because the SafeElert is located at the very top of the safe, my guess is the humidity levels there are higher than any other place in the safe, as the Liberty rod was at the bottom of the safe. Was getting readings in excess of 60%, so I started to think the rod may be going bad.....it was still warm to the touch and I could not discern any cooling from prior levels, but to be safe this time I purchased a real Goldenrod, and to be really safe, I doubled the size to 24 inches.

I place the new Goldenrod in the safe last night; however, as the safe is filled to the brim with guns, I was not able to mount this as suggested. Instead, I leaned it against the back wall of the safe. I know others have done this from reading posts online, as Goldenrod necessarily cannot get hot enough to start a fire, but I was curious how many mount and how many lean. Thought I had more room in the safe (it is a Cabela's Classic 25)
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: Goldenrod in a crowded safe

If i may ask a simpler question, what is considered to be a safe and appropriate humidity level for a gun safe? I know the temperature and humidity level just dropped, but no want to be ready for next year.

Do you have another hygrometer you can put in the safe to compare readings? Just to be sure the one you have is accurate.

I would have gone with 2 12's, for the simple effect of if one goes down at least you have some protection with the other.
    But then I still use one of these after over 9 years...

Probably should get a couple more.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    I would have gone with 2 12's, for the simple effect of if one goes down at least you have some protection with the other.
    But then I still use one of these after over 9 years...

Probably should get a couple more.
    I have a device like that, but it fills up in little time, so much so I find it almost worthless. I do not want to be going into the safe all of the time, I want to set it and forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    If i may ask a simpler question, what is considered to be a safe and appropriate humidity level for a gun safe? I know the temperature and humidity level just dropped, but no want to be ready for next year.
    I read somewhere that a gun guy talked to a museum curator to see what was the level of museums. I believe the level mention was upper 40's low 50's as some humidity is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    Do you have another hygrometer you can put in the safe to compare readings? Just to be sure the one you have is accurate.
    Had another electronic one. Will need to see if I can find it.

According to the NRA:
    50% humidity at 70 degrees is considered ideal "Arms Museum" storage conditions.

Any dryer then that, and you will have problems with wood stocks drying out and shrinking / checking.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...y-level.24411/

(Wyoming County)

It's been a fricken horrible year. To my horror, I found green shit on my Marlin 336 stock (the only wood gun I have); My expensive (for me) leather jacket had mildew growing on it.

It's getting better but I'm still showing 53% humidity in my gun room.

Soon the pendulum will swing and I'll be around 30% with the wood stove running full time. I'll never be able to keep ideal conditions
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

I have my golden rod just sitting on the bottom of my safe. I don't have a humidity monitor but my guns have never rusted.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast