Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Gifting to Family Member

Hi! and I'm sure this has been addressed on here before, and for that I apologize.

I want to get my mom (I am 23 with a CCW, she is 48 and also has her CCW) a handgun for Christmas for her to carry. Can I purchase one at Field and Stream and then gift it to her for Christmas?

Based off what I've read, that is legally permitted, provided she can legally own a handgun and she is an immediate relative living within the state of Pennsylvania.

Any confirmation and/or more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Gifting to Family Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rjdixon01 View Post
    Hi! and I'm sure this has been addressed on here before, and for that I apologize.

I want to get my mom (I am 23 with a CCW, she is 48 and also has her CCW) a handgun for Christmas for her to carry. Can I purchase one at Field and Stream and then gift it to her for Christmas?

Based off what I've read, that is legally permitted, provided she can legally own a handgun and she is an immediate relative living within the state of Pennsylvania.

Any confirmation and/or more information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Interestingly parent - child transfers are OK, but sibling transfers are not. You can gift your mom, she can gift you, but a sister or brother needs to be transferred. Just to let you know, F&S is not on our recommended dealer list due to hostility to the Second Amendment, so I would recommend a local gun shop. Probably get a better deal too!
    Last edited by gghbi; October 19th, 2018 at 03:36 PM.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Centre County)

F&S was started by Dicks after they threw gun people under the bus after Sandy Hook. They want to have their cake and eat it too. We (most PAFOA members) have been boycotting Dicks and F&S every since.

As for your question, yes you can buy an handgun and then (by law), give (gift) it to your mother without doing any paperwork.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lycoming County)

Gift away, just don't buy at F&S. No good can come from supporting a company that sells guns and hates gun ownership. I'm positive you can find a local shop selling anything there for the same price if not cheaper.

(Chester County)

The simplified wording for the law regarding gifting a gun to a relative (besides your spouse) is the two generation rule. Two generations up, parents and grandparents, and two generations down, children and grandchildren. This of course comes with all the caveats which you seem to have covered. All parties concerned live in PA and are not prohibited from owning firearms.

And I may as well add the obligatory comment since you're new here. It's a LTCF, not a CCW that allows you to carry concealed, in a vehicle or in Philadelphia open or concealed.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Bucks County)

While legal in Pa............I know it will make gift wrapping it harder but if your mother is going to carry it it will be better if you buy it for her and have it transferred to her at the FFL. If they ever find the firearm on her they will likely run it thru the Pa non-registry (registry). If it comes up under your name you will have a hassle. Everything is legal but you will still HAVE A HASSLE and a likely trip to the sheriffs office to explain.

I know you are new here so here is a suggestion to make your life here more enjoyable. Never mention you were ever in a Dicks or Field and Stream

(Bucks County)

Yes, buy your mom a gun but let her be involved in picking it out.

It's easier to buy a woman shoes that she will like, than a concealed carry pistol.

Do not spend any of your money enriching little dick.

As if what Dick's did to those people after Sandy Hook wasn't bad enough, he now openly supports banning modern sporting rifles, bump stocks, and "high capacity" magazines.

Fuck Dick's and F&S!!!

(Allegheny County)

Shop at Dick's and Field and Stream... may as well have voted for Hillary and donated money to anti-gun groups while you're at it.

Cool that you want to buy mom a gift like that though.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Warren County)

Welcome to Pafoa!

All the above is correct.

Suggest you take Mom shopping and let her pick out the one that fits her hand.

Best option would be to try out loaners from friends to see what works and what doesn't.

Training & practice is almost as important as having the gun.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Welcome to Pafoa!

All the above is correct.

Suggest you take Mom shopping and let her pick out the one that fits her hand.

Best option would be to try out loaners from friends to see what works and what doesn't.

Training & practice is almost as important as having the gun.
    Brilliant!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Since it's gonna be her firearm (we're sure on this, right???), she ought to do the paperwork and purchase it - and then present her with a b-day card or something will the full amount of your good intentions.

Moms really enjoy the process of shopping and purchasing their very first firearm. I know a mom who voted for Hillary, but just purchased her very first Remington Rolling Block ...

Go figure....
    - bamboomaster