Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Carry permit to legal nonimmigrant

Hello everybody, I found some stuff about this subject but would like to be more specific. I have been told by Sheriff’s deparment I couldn’t apply for a concealed carry permit once I don’t have a green card (they request as proof of residence). Well, I am living in Easton legally under a L1 visa (work visa given in case of company transfer) since 2015. So I have all documents that a Us citizen has (driver license and social security). I am also a home owner over here. I told to Sheriff’s employee that on the application form says nothing about a green card only request a alien registration # or I-94# if you are not an Us citizen. In my case I do have the I-94#. I asked the employee to double check but she told that it is what they have in Northampton county. I am aware about the hunting exception to purchase a firearm but interested on concealed carry. Could somebody please help me to clarify this? Thanks a lot.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Carry permit to legal nonimmigrant

You're not a citizen. No carry. You have all this and a home that would qualify you for a green card according to you but yet don't have it. Hmmm what ever.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Northampton County)

I forgot to mention I am also a licensed hunter. So, I found into the forum:

Open carry:
    If you can own a firearm, you may lawfully openly carry it on foot without a license. The exception to this is in a City of the First Class (1 million residents), you are required to have a license to carry whether it is open or concealed.

In my case I can own a firearm legally once I fall on one of the exceptions. Then according to this I could open carry a pistol. Let me know if I am wrong.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by CARLOSFRAGAJR View Post
    I forgot to mention I am also a licensed hunter. So, I found into the forum:

Open carry:
    If you can own a firearm, you may lawfully openly carry it on foot without a license. The exception to this is in a City of the First Class (1 million residents), you are required to have a license to carry whether it is open or concealed.

In my case I can own a firearm legally once I fall on one of the exceptions. Then according to this I could open carry a pistol. Let me know if I am wrong.
    There are a few problems with your Open Carry plans. First, the weather is getting colder. Your coat/jacket/hoodie, etc can't cover your gun. While it's certainly possible to OC and wear outerwear, it's not always ideal or easy. Secondly, I believe you must be on foot while OC without a LTCF virtually at all times. No riding in a car, on a motorcycle, bus, etc. Once you get into the vehicle you're considered to be concealing a firearm. Driving around with the gun in the trunk, then putting it on your hip when you arrive at your destination is also out unless you're driving to/from the range, gun shop, gunsmith.

While absolutely legal in PA, OC often presents problems for people. OCers are often harassed by ignorant citizens and LEOs, and sometimes get charged with Disorderly Conduct or other BS crimes. Do you really want to risk having to deal with all that, especially with your non-citizen status? You're here legally, working and establishing a good life for yourself and family. Don't do something that could jeopardize that.

Wait a couple days and see what responses and info you get here on the forum. Reach out to a lawyer that specializes in gun rights for advice and clarification on things you're unsure of.

(Luzerne County)

While you can open carry without a LTCF (you need one in Philly)......the places you can open carry are very limited. Basically, the only time you can OC is when you walk out the door. You cannot transport an unloaded handgun in a vehicle to another location where you want to OC.

(Monroe County)

And then Wolfee and his SOE's (STATE OF EMERGENCY declarations) that put a crimp on OC.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PHLJJS View Post
    There are a few problems with your Open Carry plans. First, the weather is getting colder. Your coat/jacket/hoodie, etc can't cover your gun. While it's certainly possible to OC and wear outerwear, it's not always ideal or easy. Secondly, I believe you must be on foot while OC without a LTCF virtually at all times. No riding in a car, on a motorcycle, bus, etc. Once you get into the vehicle you're considered to be concealing a firearm. Driving around with the gun in the trunk, then putting it on your hip when you arrive at your destination is also out unless you're driving to/from the range, gun shop, gunsmith.
    The bold is a MASSIVE pet peeve.

Once you get in a vehicle, you are NOT considered to be concealing. You are considered to be "in a vehicle", which is a separate restriction that also requires LTCF. So, if you are going to carry without a license, it MUST be on foot. Period. Full stop.

The rest of your post is fairly spot on.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    And then Wolfee and his SOE's (STATE OF EMERGENCY declarations) that put a crimp on OC.
    To clarify, the SOE does not restrict OC - it restricts unlicensed carry. A small but critical difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    You're not a citizen. No carry. You have all this and a home that would qualify you for a green card according to you but yet don't have it. Hmmm what ever.
    Constitutional Rights cover citizens only.

Unless Obama wants to help a terrorist in court.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Sorry, no. A resident alien, a person with a green card, can get a LTCF in Pennsylvania. My wife has a green card, and has her LTCF in PA. You do have to show more information than a citizen though, she needed to produce three months of a utility bill, with her name on them, showing her address in the county. She also was not able to get it the same day, as the background check takes longer.

This is from Allegheny County's website regarding LTCFs: "Q: I am not a U.S. Citizen, but I am a resident of Allegheny County. Can I still obtain a License to Carry?
    A: Yes. However, the process of conducting the background check is much more involved for non-U.S. Citizens. Please realize that we must work with the F.B.I., as well as your country of origin. You WILL NOT receive your license the same day that you apply. Additionally, you must provide three consecutive months of the same utility bill or bank statement. You will be notified by mail of your denial or approval as quickly as we can determine it."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast