Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Tamaqua School Board Moving Forward with Arming Staff

I didn't see this posted yet. https://wnep.com/2018/10/17/there-ar...maqua-schools/

TAMAQUA, Pa. — Arming teachers and staff has been in the works for years in the Tamaqua School District, but after Tuesday’s board meeting, school administrators are another step closer to keeping students safe.

Parents Newswatch 16 spoke with are mostly on board with this policy of giving teachers guns. They believe this is the best way to avoid school shootings in that part of Schuylkill County.

For kids boarding the school bus, it was time for an afternoon of learning in the Tamaqua Area School District.

For parents, the discussion of giving some teachers and other staff members guns was at the forefront in this part of Schuylkill County.

As a parent, Gabrielle Dannenfelser tells Newswatch 16 she is on board with the new measure of school safety.

“I was in school since Columbine happened. It has been a very big concern. The clear backpacks were a good step and I feel like anything else that will keep my kid stay safe I am OK with,” Dannenfelser said.

“If the teachers are trained, they should be allowed to carry guns. There are too many shootings in schools,” Jil McMahon said.

Tamaqua School Board members gave their first OK to the new policy back in September and renewed their support Tuesday night.

Trained teachers, custodians, and other staff would be allowed to carry guns on school property.

School officials say three to four members in every building would be anonymously armed.

“I believe the teachers should be able to carry as long as they are qualified and don’t let some nut take their guns from them,” Mike Whah said.

Those we spoke with do agree with arming faculty and staff to protect their children, but they do hope that school officials put a focus into counseling.

“If there is money that would not take away from their music program or things like that then I would agree with it,” Dannenfelser said.

School officials tell Newswatch 16 that teachers and other staff members are not carrying guns on the property.

The district is working on finding staff members who are interested and implementing a training program.
    Last edited by esh21167; October 18th, 2018 at 07:00 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Tamaqua School Board Moving Forward with Arming Staff

They are going in the right direction-almost.
    School teachers are one of those things you probably shouldn't bring to a gunfight.

I am skeptical about a career change from teacher to gunfighter.
    Personally, I would much prefer dedicated armed personell.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    I am skeptical about a career change from teacher to gunfighter.
    So should all of us folks who are NOT "trained gunfighters" leave our carry pieces at home?

(Bucks County)

Don't be silly.
    Teachers have the same rights as anyone else.

That said, they should not be expected to counter an armed threat with the same training and competence of trained persons dedicated to that function.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

The assumption made by the left is that it is arming "all teachers" and then they make assumptions that teachers are being forced to do something they do not want to do. Why not have armed security and some teachers who are willing and able to carry?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by father-of-three View Post
    The assumption made by the left is that it is arming "all teachers" and then they make assumptions that teachers are being forced to do something they do not want to do. Why not have armed security and some teachers who are willing and able to carry?
    Hey I have an idea. Why not simply allow ANY non-prohibited person to carry if they want to carry ??
    --ET

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Hey I have an idea. Why not simply allow ANY non-prohibited person to carry if they want to carry ??
    Repeat after me:

"other lawful purpose"

(Montgomery County)

Your assumption that a teacher cannot be trained to be an effective tool to defend the kids is silly . Take police officers. The majority of them do one week of firearms training during the academy and once a year qualification. Wow that’s a professional fighter.
    With a proper training program and follow up recurring training even a “ Teacher” can be trained to be quite effective in a shooting situation. After all the shooters are mostly kids that are not gunfighters. The reason they are mostly successful in these situations is because they are not challenged.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(Northampton County)

The teachers should be required to get Act 235 certified at the least. Personally I don't see the teacher taking a shot at Johnny with a handgun or a knife.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    The teachers should be required to get Act 235 certified at the least. Personally I don't see the teacher taking a shot at Johnny with a handgun or a knife.
    I don’t see why not. If you are implying that they are wired to protect children instead of arming them I’ll say this. Johnny is hurting Joseph, Jill, Chris, Mary and so on. The teacher may be a little hesitant in hurting Johnny to protect the others but I think they will. Also that’s why training should include some sort of psychological training. Good point but I think it can be overcome.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast