Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Pittie Party

(Dauphin County)

Default Pittie Party

I don't know if anyone is interested in this because of the group shoot on the same day. I got an email a few days ago that the Harrisburg Humane Society is having a Pittie Party. All adoptions for pit bulls are 50% off and they will have a pittie kissing booth among other things going on. My wife and I will be taking our son and our pit bull Leonardo Dogcaprio (the humane society named him) to the event.
    http://humanesocietyhbg.org/pittieparty
    "Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things."- Marvin Heemeyer

Default Re: Pittie Party

An actual event in the events section!

Good cause....we rescued a homeless dog this year, I'll never "buy" a dog again, adopting and rescuing is the way to go. Don't have to deal with potty training either.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    An actual event in the events section!

Good cause....we rescued a homeless dog this year, I'll never "buy" a dog again, adopting and rescuing is the way to go. Don't have to deal with potty training either.
    Both of my pups are rescues. I brought my first one home in 2008 a border collie mix that I named Radar. The second one was Leo back about two years ago.

Leo 1.jpgLeo 2.jpgDogs.jpg

(Allegheny County)

When we first started as volunteers, there was a pit bull at the shelter named "Brad Pit" LOL.
    He was a beautiful dog and one of the first pit bulls to show me the truth about the breed. At the time, all I knew was what the media and the general public "taught" me about them. Boy, did I learn a lot since then.

Have a good time and scratch some big, block heads for me!

Edit to add: Our Roofus...

Last edited by Emptymag; October 18th, 2018 at 09:55 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    When we first started as volunteers, there was a pit bull at the shelter named "Brad Pit" LOL.
    He was a beautiful dog and one of the first pit bulls to show me the truth about the breed. At the time, all I knew was what the media and the general public "taught" me about them. Boy, did I learn a lot since then.

Have a good time and scratch some big, block heads for me!

Edit to add: Our Roofus...

I will say we had some issues for a little while with Leo latching onto Radar. Radar is old and used to growl once and awhile. The growing would cause Leo to go into "attack/defense" mode and would bite at or around Radar's ears and wouldn't let go. I'm not proud of it but I had to choke out Leo once and my wife busted the screen on her phone once beating him over the head with her phone. We learned what set him off and know what to look for, now we can break them up before an issue arises.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    I will say we had some issues for a little while with Leo latching onto Radar. Radar is old and used to growl once and awhile. The growing would cause Leo to go into "attack/defense" mode and would bite at or around Radar's ears and wouldn't let go. I'm not proud of it but I had to choke out Leo once and my wife busted the screen on her phone once beating him over the head with her phone. We learned what set him off and know what to look for, now we can break them up before an issue arises.
    I've had about 8 big dogs in my life (I generally own two at a time): 3 rottweilers, 2 yellow labs, 2 great danes, 1 ovcharka (caucasian shepherd). Half I rescued, and half I got as puppies. All the rescues turned out great (eventually), but generally, most had some emotional baggage to deal with (normally not too serious). All in all I would wholehartedly endorse getting a rescue, but would not recommend getting a large working breed rescue if you do not have previous dog experience. Of course, I make a similar recommendation with even getting a puppy (don't get a large, working group dog w/o prior experiance), but at least there you are starting with a small dog (when it's young) and can develop a relationship with the dog (even if it is alpha over you) and hopefully get help (i.e. a good trainer) before things get out of hand.

BTW, I always wanted to get a pit, but it just never happened. Maybe someday...