Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Cross Dominant Pistol Shooting

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. If I turn my head to the right, I can focus on the front sight much more easily without having to close an eye. The only ways I can make that double vision bullshit go away is by turning my head or closing my right eye. On video, it looks like I'm looking at 2 but shooting at 12. What do the rest of you do with cross dominance?

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Cross Dominant Pistol Shooting

Can you or have you tried shooting with both eyes open?

(Bucks County)

I’m right hand/left eye. Shoot with both eyes open, or shoot left handed. Train both ways, it might save your life someday.

(Lycoming County)

As was said above, practice shooting with both eyes open. It took me a long time to get used to it, but once you do you'll find it much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    Can you or have you tried shooting with both eyes open?
    My brother and my daughter are both cross eye dominate and have worked around it buy shooting with both eyes opened which is correct for hand gun shooting in general. Rifles is another story, if using irons my daughter will shoot left handed if using a red dot then back to both eyes opened again. Learning to peer down the sight and focus in on the target beyond the front sight is pretty easy and much faster when you get used to it.

Where it really comes I to play is archery which we haven't tackled yet.

You could look into getting a pistol set up with an RDS which would allow you to work around it. My brother was a LE firearms instructor for 15 years and my daughter is 10 so if they can do it then so can you. There are a ton of articles on line addressing this as well.

(Montgomery County)

I'm right handed, left eyed. Shoot rifles lefty, pistols right handed sighting with left eye. Never been a problem, I keep both eyes open in both scenarios.

(Allegheny County)

I stuck a saw blade in my dominant eye and the resulting scar on my dominant eye cornea makes it difficult to focus.
    This year, I finally rotate my head to use my non dominant eye. I've always shot with both eyes open.

Rifle, I cant use a red dot.
    It looks like 3 dots and a spur. Reticles are a bit blurry but good enough to make hits when I use the bad eye.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Washington County)

I'm right-handed, strong left eye dominant. Until two years ago, I used my right eye while pistol shooting but had to close my left eye to make that happen. On the advice of an RSO during LEO qualification, I tried shooting right-handed with my left eye with my right eye closed and WOW, did things really improve. My draw to target acquistion became much smoother, my score jumped, and moving from target to target is so much easier now. I'll never go back to right eye shooting.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Allegheny County)

Depends on what your pistol shooting application is.
    Seems like everyone assumes self defense or run and gun sports. For pure plinking or bullseye target shooting just close your dominant eye (if in bullseye competition cover it with a blinder to prevent sympathetic eye closure of the aiming eye).

You can also try the scotch tape trick. Place a small piece of frosted scotch tape on your shooting glasses lens of your dominant eye that just blocks out your front sight when aiming. This will still afford you most of your peripheral vision while taking your dominant eye out of the aiming equation.

I'm a lefty with a right dominant eye. I shoot pistols just fine with closing my right eye. For self defense practice I don't even close my dominant eye because I don't aim, I point the gun. I can hit center mass no problem at practical self defense distances.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 17th, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(Beaver County)

I do shoot with both eyes open with pistol, shotgun and rifle. I did try shooting my pistols left handed but I was so far behind my right handed shooting that I stopped. It was a waste of ammo. I went from maybe missing 1 or 2 shots per mag if I shoot too fast to about 50% hit rate. Off hand, one handed drills are even worse. Training left handed more might not be a bad idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast