Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Cross Dominant Pistol Shooting

I am left eye dominant and right handed.

Just learned how to shoot lefty as a kid and its stuck. Rifle and shotgun I can switch sides, but primarily shoot lefty.

Only became an issue with pistol and I have learned to shoot with both eyes open. Ironically shoot better lefty than righty which I attribute to less bad habits to unlearn.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Bucks County)

Both eyes are open and focused on the target. I am also left eye dominant and right handed. Have shot IDPA, USPSA, Steel, Run and Gun and whatever else I could find. And I did so weekly for about 7 years with a lot of enjoyment and fellowship. I tried to resolve the supposed 'not perfect' alignment by closing my left eye or putting a cover over the left safety glasses lens. But once I did dry fire and sight picture drills on a daily basis at home the brain resolved any imperfection I assumed I had. And shooting 'support hand' as opposed to right handed yields no advantage.

I have not done competitive shooting for a few years now, but still practice as I can and do my almost daily drills of draw, sight picture on multiple targets and re holster. I do not think about the dominant eye situation anymore. I just focus on the target, and that works well for me. The brain and the eyes will work together.

Keep at it, practice, practice practice, and have fun.......j
    Last edited by J; October 17th, 2018 at 09:34 PM.
    NRA endowment

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by J View Post
    Both eyes are open and focused on the target. I am also left eye dominant and right handed. Have shot IDPA, USPSA, Steel, Run and Gun and whatever else I could find. And I did so weekly for about 7 years with a lot of enjoyment and fellowship. I tried to resolve the supposed 'not perfect' alignment by closing my left eye or putting a cover over the left safety glasses lens. But once I did dry fire and sight picture drills on a daily basis at home the brain resolved any imperfection I assumed I had. And shooting 'support hand' as opposed to right handed yields no advantage.

I have not done competitive shooting for a few years now, but still practice as I can and do my almost daily drills of draw, sight picture on multiple targets and re holster. I do not think about the dominant eye situation anymore. I just focus on the target, and that works well for me. The brain and the eyes will work together.

Keep at it, practice, practice practice, and have fun.......j
    Target or front sight?

Or you shoot red dot, and nevermind
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Rifle and shotgun I can switch sides, but primarily shoot lefty.
    Me too. I can shoot ambidextrous with a shotgun more effectively than a rifle though. I've done way more right handed shotgun to show other people in my family than I have right handed carbine. Shooting pistols left handed sucks though. I'm terrible at it AND it sucks.Having said that, I'll practice shooting my pistols lefty this weekend.

(Bucks County)

YES!

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Target or front sight?

Or you shoot red dot, and nevermind
    NRA endowment

This is a good topic to discuss. I am an LE firearms instructor and ran into this issue a few years ago with a good shooter who was having a terrible time on the range. He is right handed and right eye dominant. At least he USED to be. Yes, it can change. To get through the day of training he shot with his left eye but has since switched to a both eyes open approach.

Here is a lengthy but good article on the subject.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers...shooting-13003

(Montgomery County)

I'm coming across more and more people right-handed and left eye dominant (or don't understand the finding eye dominance exercises, but that's another topic). One thing that work for most of them with pistol is slightly bending the left elbow more. It pulls the hold to the left and aligns on their eye better. My smart-a** son prefers to roll his head over to the right and likes to remind me that Jeff Cooper was righty and left-eye dominant...to which I reply "the day you shoot as well as Jeff Cooper I'll stop trying to help you."

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    This is a good topic to discuss. I am an LE firearms instructor and ran into this issue a few years ago with a good shooter who was having a terrible time on the range. He is right handed and right eye dominant. At least he USED to be. Yes, it can change. To get through the day of training he shot with his left eye but has since switched to a both eyes open approach.

Here is a lengthy but good article on the subject.

https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/answers...shooting-13003
    Good info in this article. I posted a topic about this issue while shooting rifles and am looking forward to the responses I get back. I have always shot pistol and shotgun with both eyes open and still have no problems shooting those types of firearms. My issue is when I'm shooting one of my hunting or defense rifles. Best way I can describe my vision in my right eye is "it's like looking through a screen door when your head is pressed against the actual screen".

Thanks for the link to the article!

(Allegheny County)

My wife has been shooting since the mid 80s. She is right handed and left eye dominant - she uses a strong Modified Weaver stance and has been able to shoot that way effectively.

Her defensive shotgun work is done left handed, this has actually worked to her advantage when she used a pump, since her dominant hand was used for working the action. Later on when she switched over to a semi auto Remington LT20 it was no problem at all, she just had the safety switched over to allow easier use.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

40 years ago we trained Iscocoles stance and over the years found weaver stance more appropriate accuracy wise for me !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast