Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Erie County LTC form

I noticed on the LTC form for Erie County, Pa https://www.eriecountypa.gov/county-.../firearms.aspx there is no box 29 for references. Just a blank space. Does that mean references are not required for Erie County? I ask because being from Ohio I want to get the Pa. permit. I realize Pa. has reciprocity with Ohio but since I am very close to the Pa border and go to Pa quite often just would be more "official" if I had a permit from Pa. Drives me nuts each Pa. county seems to have their own "rules."

I don't want to provide references. Not because I can't. Just that I shouldn't have to provide a reference just so I can carry concealed. I have a CCW in Ohio so my permit should be the best and only reference I should have to provide.

Default Re: Erie County LTC form

They may have realized that you aren't going to name any bad references.

Funny how the "standard" sp form gets changed from department to department.

Doesn't matter. I would have two references ready to go just in case, including address and contact number. Most departments that issue on the spot ignore the references anyway.

I live near Lawrence and Mercer counties. Mercer doesn't issue non-resident permits and references for Lawrence must live in Lawrence County, no exceptions the website says.

The crazy part is my Ohio permit will allow me to carry in Pennsylvania, no reference required. Gun laws/regulations, for the most part, don't make any sense.

We'll see what happens and if they need references I'll decline because Ohio and Pa. have reciprocity. I was just curious if anyone in Erie county would know.

(Allegheny County)

Has anyone outside Pilly ever had a reference called? When I applied in Allegheny, they never called any references and a couple friends in Washington never had any of their references contacted.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    Has anyone outside Pilly ever had a reference called? When I applied in Allegheny, they never called any references and a couple friends in Washington never had any of their references contacted.
    I've had an LTCF issued by Philly PD for 17 years. Philly has never contacted any of my references, nor the references of anyone I know with a Philly LTCF, even before the lawsuit settlement prohibiting them from doing so.

As bad as Philly is with LTCF issuance and various other things, don't assume everything you hear or read is true.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamAngelo View Post
    I live near Lawrence and Mercer counties. Mercer doesn't issue non-resident permits and references for Lawrence must live in Lawrence County, no exceptions the website says.

The crazy part is my Ohio permit will allow me to carry in Pennsylvania, no reference required. Gun laws/regulations, for the most part, don't make any sense.

We'll see what happens and if they need references I'll decline because Ohio and Pa. have reciprocity. I was just curious if anyone in Erie county would know.
    I wouldn't concern yourself. Clearly they removed the requirement. There is no law mandating county, or resident specific references. Fill out the form, and let it ride.

ETA:

After reading the sheriffs web site it seems they have no hoops to jump through and issue to non residents. I wouldn't expect a problem.
    Last edited by God's Country; October 16th, 2018 at 04:37 PM.

I agree. Seems pretty straight forward.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Kipwell View Post
    They may have realized that you aren't going to name any bad references.
    It was there when I renewed in Feb. Maybe they took it off. I don't think they ever called anyone anyway. I asked both my references, and nobody called either.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinR View Post
    When I got my first LTC in Chester county I had written down two references. One from Chester, one from Delco. Neither of them were called, and it came in the mail within 14 days.