Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Can I bring my sidearm to New Orleans, LA & carry it?

Quote Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
    Figured I'd update & let everyone know that I did take it with me & had no issues. Flew United. Newark airport took my bag in a back room & asked me for the key tot he case lock. Came out a few minutes later w/no problems. Coming home, the NOLA airport was very very slow. TSA were just sitting around watching bags pile up after asking me to hang around in case they need to open it. After a while of that, asked them what is up & they said we'll page you if need be so you can go. Ultimately, no page & I arrived home with my pistol still in my bag.

Glad I took it with me. Felt like I was gonna need it a couple times in NOLA.
    Jesus, you never mentioned Newark... FOPA doesn't cover you for that situation... I'm glad they did not call the police...

And also the TSA violated Federal law by asking you for the key. Only the owner is supposed to retain the key. They can inspect the outside of the case, but not the inside.

Am I overreacting here or am I the only one relieved Never_Enough is not behind bars right now?!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Jesus, you never mentioned Newark... FOPA doesn't cover you for that situation... I'm glad they did not call the police...

And also the TSA violated Federal law by asking you for the key. Only the owner is supposed to retain the key. They can inspect the outside of the case, but not the inside.

Am I overreacting here or am I the only one relieved Never_Enough is not behind bars right now?!
    Why would they call the police? I have lived in NJ & had weapons there too. Obviously, you are not allowed to carry in NJ, but I was not carrying. Am I missing something?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post

The last time I flew the TSA had me open the lock box for inspection with me present, and then had me lock it up again before taking it.
    I'm not sure what the current hibbidy-dibbidy is with regard to flying a gun in or out of NJ.
    The next time you fly out of Newark, just take your gun out and hold it over your head and yell "I have a gun, what should I do with it!?!"
    Send me a postcard to let me know how it went...
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Bucks County)

Why would they call the police? I have lived in NJ & had weapons there too. Obviously, you are not allowed to carry in NJ, but I was not carrying. Am I missing something?
    Why? Because people have been arrested before. While my PPK may be legal in NJ, my ammo is not (IIRC, hollow points) Glad everything went well for you.
    IANAL MPMO VIVA CUBA LIBRE

(Delaware County)

One may only transport a firearm in NJ under specific circumstances, generally (for this discussion) directly between home and range. Outside of that travel, you need to rely on uninterrupted travel under FOPA. The 3rd Circuit ruled that getting out of your car to walk to the counter ended one trip and started another - in a place where you are not authorized to have a firearm.

(Lancaster County)

Well, other than what others pointed out, mag limit is 10 so most modern pistol mags exceed that.

The 3rd circuit ruling is BS IMO, but such is life in New Germany.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    The last time I flew the TSA had me open the lock box for inspection with me present, and then had me lock it up again before taking it.
    I'm not sure what the current hibbidy-dibbidy is with regard to flying a gun in or out of NJ.
    The next time you fly out of Newark, just take your gun out and hold it over your head and yell "I have a gun, what should I do with it!?!"
    Send me a postcard to let me know how it went...
    Sorry, should have clarified. Taking the key and opening it without the owner present is a violation of federal law. The owner opening it for them to inspect is not.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Well, other than what others pointed out, mag limit is 10 so most modern pistol mags exceed that.

The 3rd circuit ruling is BS IMO, but such is life in New Germany.
    Good thing it was my LCP with a 6 round mag...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123