Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Re: Game Warden Issue at Shooting Range

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbone333 View Post
    Yup, the OP should thank him for showing mercy for not having his original paperwork needed to use the kings' facilities. Give me a break.
    Would you also say it's ok to shoot after hours? Use shot shells on the rifle or pistol targets? Leave your trash laying on the ground? Maybe even handle your firearm while folks are down range.

The rules to use the range are posted at the range for all to review. The rules (and most laws) are created because people abuse opportunity and take advantage of the situation. If I want to use the range that PGC maintains I expect to follow the rules. I was glad when PGC started enforcing the requirement to have a hunting license or permit to use the range. Prior to that most of my range trips were cut short because of idiot wanna be gang bangers from Harrisburg and York who had no sense of safety. PGC can't require shooters to take a gun safety course, or even a common sense class, so they had to use hunting licensing as a means of controlling use. As a result the ranges in Carlisle and Dillsburg are cleaner, better maintained, and generally safer.

(Wayne County)

Yup, the OP should thank him for showing mercy for not having his original paperwork needed to use the kings' facilities. Give me a break.
    Let me guess. Your cup is always half empty, right?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Would you also say it's ok to shoot after hours? Use shot shells on the rifle or pistol targets? Leave your trash laying on the ground? Maybe even handle your firearm while folks are down range.

The rules to use the range are posted at the range for all to review. The rules (and most laws) are created because people abuse opportunity and take advantage of the situation. If I want to use the range that PGC maintains I expect to follow the rules. I was glad when PGC started enforcing the requirement to have a hunting license or permit to use the range. Prior to that most of my range trips were cut short because of idiot wanna be gang bangers from Harrisburg and York who had no sense of safety. PGC can't require shooters to take a gun safety course, or even a common sense class, so they had to use hunting licensing as a means of controlling use. As a result the ranges in Carlisle and Dillsburg are cleaner, better maintained, and generally safer.
    Wow... it's funny you mention the gang-banger thing. I have seen the same at the Game Lands range in Wexford (Allegheny Co) a few times.

(Allegheny County)

Since the authorities didn’t comply with my request at Wexford - I will bring my own sign I had made by a company - bright orange and nice size :
    “Firearms are never to be handled when anyone is down range “.
    I haven’t gone since but it’s going with me if I decide to take a risk and shoot there this fall.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post

Quite the leap there, no? I obey the rules of any range I use, as well as all firearm safety rules. I don't litter either.
    My point is that the warden didn't need to send him home. He could have educated the OP that he should have his original hunting license and let him finish his range trip. Maybe even run his tag number if it made him feel better. He didn't have to send him home.

(Montgomery County)

Quite the leap there, no? I obey the rules of any range I use, as well as all firearm safety rules. I don't litter either.
    My point is that the warden didn't need to send him home. He could have educated the OP that he should have his original hunting license and let him finish his range trip. Maybe even run his tag number if it made him feel better. He didn't have to send him home.
    The OP broke the regulations, plain and simple.

The Warden did exactly as you proposed. He educated the OP and let him finish his range trip. He finished it right then and there. No fines no citations. I think it was a win for the OP.

(Mifflin County)

Soon you will have your hunting license on your phone , already happened with car reg. and insurance info . must be accepted by the po po and inspection mechanics .

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    The OP broke the regulations, plain and simple.

The Warden did exactly as you proposed. He educated the OP and let him finish his range trip. He finished it right then and there. No fines no citations. I think it was a win for the OP.
    He had a "copy" of his license, just like we carry copies of our nfa stuff. Sure he ended his day without a fine,
    but being a dick isn't always good or the right thing to do. Why was he a dick? from how the op described the encounter, he seems like a dick.
    There were more ways to go about it than how the officer did, me for instance, I like to educate without being a.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    He had a "copy" of his license, just like we carry copies of our nfa stuff. Sure he ended his day without a fine,
    but being a dick isn't always good or the right thing to do. Why was he a dick? from how the op described the encounter, he seems like a dick.
    There were more ways to go about it than how the officer did, me for instance, I like to educate without being a.
    who was being a dick?

§ 135.181. Rifle and handgun ranges.
    (a) General provisions. In addition to § 135.2 (relating to unlawful actions) and except as provided in § 135.182 (relating to ranges, State Game Lands No. 176), the following pertain to lands under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction designated as rifle or handgun ranges:

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee, it is unlawful to:

(8) Load or discharge a firearm or use a range facility for any reason without possessing a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Commission-issued range permit signed by its holder. This prohibition does not apply to persons 15 years of age or younger or up to one person accompanying another person in possession of a valid Pennsylvania hunting or furtaker license or a Commission-issued range permit.

https://www.pacode.com/secure/data/0.../s135.181.html
    Last edited by Remington788; October 15th, 2018 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added citation

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    who was being a dick?
    The warden.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast