Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Game Warden Issue at Shooting Range

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    Do you think a police officer would be OK with you giving him a photocopy of your driver's license?
    Actually there's a state law for that. They can ask you to bring the original within 15 days.

Quote Originally Posted by stevel610 View Post
    Actually there's a state law for that. They can ask you to bring the original within 15 days.
    No.. if you are cited for not having your license you have 15 days to show proof to the magistrate in order to nullify the citation. The police do not have the ability to do that once the citation is issued.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I'll play Devil's advocate from the other side.

Would you think it to be acceptable to carry a good photocopy of your license with you while you're hunting?

If the answer to that was 'no', then why would it be acceptable at an SGL range?
    Thanks for your reply.

This goes to the heart of my post. Until a couple years ago you didn't need a license to use the range. The purpose of requiring a license is to ensure you have helped support funding range operations (which I support btw), and is the reason you can just buy the range use permit online if you are not a hunter. There is no particular reason that a license is needed on the range except to show that you have paid a fee to help fund the operations, which a copy does. In fact, I provided evidence of having paid the fee to the satisfaction of the Game Warden, which he acknowledged.

With hunting, there are several regulations regarding what is being hunted, appropriate weapons / ammunition, having completed Hunter's a Safety Course for those to whom it applies, etc. Most of this is not applicable for a trip to the range, and that which does apply, is determined by witnessing the shooter such as not shooting buckshot, not the license.

[[/I]

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by The Lieutenant View Post
    No.. if you are cited for not having your license you have 15 days to show proof to the magistrate in order to nullify the citation. The police do not have the ability to do that once the citation is issued.
    I don't carry mine at all. The few times I was pulled over and asked for it I said I had 15 days to produce it. Once I was asked to bring it to the barracks and show the desk officer. The others they looked it up in the computer.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Philadelphia County)

Some would, some wouldn't. No different than showing up at the bank with a photocopy of your license.
    While traveling have good colored copies of my license, city ID and Passport in my luggage. Just in case. Figure it can’t hurt.

Any document can be created or altered with a little Photo Shop knowledge. There is a reason gov and law enforcement require originals.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I carry my original license to carry card in my pocket, its laminated but all beat to shit.
    Must suck to have to look up on a computer or call the office to see if its valid
    Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I don't carry mine at all. The few times I was pulled over and asked for it I said I had 15 days to produce it. Once I was asked to bring it to the barracks and show the desk officer. The others they looked it up in the computer.
    Looking up things on the computer is great, except when the system goes down for a couple hours in the early morning. But then I guess you guys aren’t out at those hours or shooting for that matter.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Any document can be created or altered with a little Photo Shop knowledge. There is a reason gov and law enforcement require originals.
    There's a reason we have computers, cell phones and radios with 24/7 access to the government databases that contain the information if any particular license is valid or not. While the letter of the law may state that the original license must be presented, that's a relic of a bygone age where we didn't have constant connectivity.

Your LTCF could be revoked, and you could still be carrying the original card. Does that mean it's still valid?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Delaware County)

You, Sir, are correct, in my 30 years in the business (ret) I'd have never accepted a photocopy, or facsimile of any official document.

And, I suppose, that I too am a relic of a bygone age, but that's ok with me.
    Our brethren are already in the Field, why stand we here Idle?
    Si vis pacem, Para bellum
    To every man upon this earth, death cometh, soon or late

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    Those were all courtesies. You dont have 15 days to produce it to Law Enforcement. You are required to have ot with you at all times while driving. You have 15 days to produce it to the district magistrate to get put of the ticket without trial.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast