Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Game Warden Issue at Shooting Range

§ 1511. Carrying and exhibiting driver's license on demand.

(a) General rule.--Every licensee shall possess a driver's license issued to the licensee at all times when driving a motor vehicle and shall exhibit the license upon demand by a police officer, and when requested by the police officer the licensee shall write the licensee's name in the presence of the officer in order to provide identity.

Well, I've been doing this since 1998 and that's always been the law as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbone333 View Post
    Quite the leap there, no? I obey the rules of any range I use, as well as all firearm safety rules. I don't litter either.
    My point is that the warden didn't need to send him home. He could have educated the OP that he should have his original hunting license and let him finish his range trip. Maybe even run his tag number if it made him feel better. He didn't have to send him home.
    No leap at all my friend. I didn't say you break rules, I just asked what is acceptable. I'm just trying to determine where you draw the line. Do the first 5 rules not count? Maybe it's just the evenly numbered ones we have to follow. From your comments you feel the warden was excessive. In my opinion he wasn't. The wardens that inspect the ranges near me have had a zero tolerance in past years because the rules and laws are flagrantly ignored.

If he just warns people and lets them go about their business what has been accomplished? The same people use the PGC ranges regularly. It won't take long for the folks to adopt an attitude that there is no enforcement of the rules and they can do whatever they want.

Overall I think it's a good news story. The OP didn't get a fine. Last I checked PGC range violation fines start at $200.

Was the warden an ass? Maybe. But the fault of responsibility in this case falls on the OP. He made a mistake but life goes on. While we're on this topic, I got a speeding ticket back in 1997. The PSP trooper was a real sarcastic prick. He could have just given me a warning..... Maybe I'll start a POOFA poll and see how many here have sympathy for MY mistake.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    § 1511. Carrying and exhibiting driver's license on demand.

(a) General rule.--Every licensee shall possess a driver's license issued to the licensee at all times when driving a motor vehicle and shall exhibit the license upon demand by a police officer, and when requested by the police officer the licensee shall write the licensee's name in the presence of the officer in order to provide identity.

Well, I've been doing this since 1998 and that's always been the law as far as I know.
    It has been fifteen days for as long as I remember. Pulled over three times and each officer took that as fact. I ebve. Remember you confirming this in on if the threads I started.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    It has been fifteen days for as long as I remember. Pulled over three times and each officer took that as fact. I ebve. Remember you confirming this in on if the threads I started.
    You are liable for citation if you cannot produce the DL on the spot. The officer can delay filing the citation for 15 days to allow you to produce the DL at headquarters or you can produce within 15 days of the filing of the citation.

You can, after being cited, avoid penalties by:

75 Pa CSA § 1511. Carrying and exhibiting driver's license on demand.

(b) Production to avoid penalty.--No person shall be convicted of violating this section or section 1501(a) (relating to drivers required to be licensed) if the person:

(1) produces at the headquarters of the police officer who demanded to see the person's license, within 15 days of the demand, a driver's license valid in this Commonwealth at the time of the demand; or

(2) if a citation has been filed, produces at the office of the issuing authority, within 15 days of the filing of the citation, a driver's license valid in this Commonwealth on the date of the citation.
    Last edited by tl_3237; October 17th, 2018 at 10:51 AM.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Why should you even have to have a DL at all? They can look you up in their computer and see your picture right there. You should just have to tell them your name, and maybe your address in case there are name duplicates, and off you go. Having to carry around a physical card anymore is stupid.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    You are liable for citation if you cannot produce the DL on the spot. The officer can delay filing the citation for 15 days to allow you to produce the DL at headquarters or you can produce within 15 days of the filing of the citation.

You can, after being cited, avoid penalties by:
    Three occasions and never had licence with me. Only once was I asked to take it to the barracks. All three occasions we're state police.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Dauphin County)

For what it is worth, I have the $30 "range permit". You simply print it out yourself and sign it. I printed a few and keep copies on me and in my bag.

I also emailed the game commission and asked if a picture of the permit on my phone would suffice if I didnt have a copy on me. They replied that that was fine. Kind of silly for him to make OP leave, in my opinion.

(Mifflin County)

Barney Fife was on a power trip for sure ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Why should you even have to have a DL at all? They can look you up in their computer and see your picture right there. You should just have to tell them your name, and maybe your address in case there are name duplicates, and off you go. Having to carry around a physical card anymore is stupid.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
    At the very least your name and DOB is needed in most cases. It can be a pain in the ass if there is a Penn-DOT error and your name was entered wrong or if you say "My name is John Smith" but on your license its "John Von-Smith" or "John Hastings Smith" the last name has to be exact.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lieutenant View Post
    At the very least your name and DOB is needed in most cases. It can be a pain in the ass if there is a Penn-DOT error and your name was entered wrong or if you say "My name is John Smith" but on your license its "John Von-Smith" or "John Hastings Smith" the last name has to be exact.
    And not to mention J-NET is never down for maintenance or it never displays a small red x with "photo not available"......

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast