Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Week 3: Bowinging and In-Line Muzzel loader. What did you see, how did it go?

Must have jinxed myself.. driving out at 0500 this morning and truck got first deer of the season, and I saw nothing all morning in the stand.

Life's little ironies.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Week 3: Bowinging and In-Line Muzzel loader. What did you see, how did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    .50 cal Hawken style.
    Make is unknown. Probably an old Cabellas kit, judging by the trigger guard.
    I have a .50 T/C Hawkins and enjoy it for Late Season Flintlock- Took a big doe last year and warmed my frozen hands while field dressing her on an insanely cold day last year- Never have I enjoyed gutting a deer like I did that day... I bought a used CVA OPtima Pro In-Line and have a Nikon Prostaff 3x9 shooting 250 Grain Red Sabot Hornady bullets over 2 pellets of 777 magnum. and I am Supremely confident in this set up out to 150 yards. Might take out the in-line friday or Saturday not sure...might stick to bow hunting for a buck as well...decisions/decisions.

(York County)

A buddy came up to hunt Saturday afternoon at the farm. I saw him drive up the lane, and about five minutes later I heard a bang. I figured he just forgot to unload last year. Five minutes later I see his truck go out the lane...with a nice sized doe in the back! Really, only ten minutes total. I spoke with him and he said he never even made it to his stand.
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Must have jinxed myself.. driving out at 0500 this morning and truck got first deer of the season, and I saw nothing all morning in the stand.

Life's little ironies.
    I did that once. Heading out bow hunting and clipped a nice 8pt.

Saw a couple doe this morning and a decent 6pt @ 20 yds. Let him walk.

(Berks County)

Saw my dentist today; my dermatologist yesterday. No deer. ;-(
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Saw my dentist today; my dermatologist yesterday. No deer. ;-(
    You're not dong it right.
    All appointments get nixed during deer season.

(Berks County)

...flu shot yesterday, cut my finger, been an eventful week!!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

You go deer hunting even in a coma.

That's how your git 'er done.

(Dauphin County)

Took the biggest doe of 2018 last night with the CVA Optima Pro Muzzleloader and a 250 grain Hornady SST over two pellets of 777 Magnum. First time I have ever recovered a bullet. Perfect expansion with a 210 grain retained weight.

As I was climbing into my stand around 4 PM in Hershey, I looked over the field and see 6+ doe feeding in a newly planted Winter Wheat field about 200 yards away. Instead of waiting for them to make their way into the 100 yard range I decide to make something happen and put on a stalk. West wind is perfectly blowing from the deer to me so I get down and head to the brush and try to make my way about 100 yards closer. When I decide I'm close enough to where I suspect the doe to be, I belly crawl to the edge of the field and a fawn doe is starting at me at 30 yards. She snorts and I think the stalk is blown. But as I improve my vantage, I see that the big doe are now looking in my direction alert to my movement and they begin to move from the field back to the brush, I hurriedly get the crosshairs on a broadside doe just before she disappears into the brush and pull the trigger...CLICK NO BANG!!!!! I completely forgot to put a primer in my rifle. I usually wait to prime the muzzle loader until I am securely in my tree stand, well...I never made it up the tree stand because I made the decision to make a stalf before I ever got settled. As a result I never put in the primer. And exciting stalk that ended in loss of face hunter error. But it was before 5 PM, still had at least 2 hours of hunting left so I brushed myself off and I got back in the saddle because you just never know.

Back to the tree stand and after about 1/2 hour I think I have blown this area I need to move. Wind is still in my face. I'm going to still hunt instead of tree stand hunt and hopefully another stalk while scanning the Winter Wheat fields will lead to success.

About 5:30 now and I'm sneaking through the brush, blind to any knowledge of deer location. I pop out in another part of the field to see what might be feeding in the field. Two fawn doe surprise me up wind at 20-40 yards. I get prone and stay still as they trot back to the brush. As I glass the field edge in the direct the fawns retreat, I see a Big doe head bobbing while staring me down. I imagine that I could take a headshot on her from the prone position as I am supremely confident with the CVA out to 100 yards from the super stable prone position, but I question the ethics of such a shot and just watch her through my 3x9 scope completely expecting her to turn tail and go back to the brush. But she didn't wind me and must have lost sight of me as I lay down, because she actually got very curious and came out of the brush to investigate trying to figure out what I was. She walks directly at me, now she is at about 70-80 yards and twice got broad side, but I was tense and did not take the shot, worried I would jerk the trigger.

Finally I take several deep breaths to get relaxed and I feel my elbows, hips and knees and inner ankles sink a little in the soft purple-brown Hershey soil. She is now ever so slightly quartering to me and I put the cross hairs between her neck and shoulder, apply even pressure and KA-BOOM, the CVA roars with an expansive smoke that shrouds my vision as the West wind blows it back into my face. Was my aim true? As the smoke clears the field is empty but I hear the sound of a deer crashing through the brush, an uninjured deer is much quieter even when running to escape, this was the unmistakable sound of a fatally wounded doe on her death run breaking brush.

As I got to where I suspect she entered the brush from the field, I see a speck of red blood and know I have made a hit. As I enter the brush and track blood, I gain confidence that this doe is dead. The blood picks up and so does the pace of my tracking I lift my head and see a white belly less than 50 yards into the brush.

I drag her back into the field to tag and dress her. Inspecting the shot entrance I draw an imaginary line of bullet travel and as I look for the exit wound I see I round tuft of hair sticking out where I imagine I would find blood. I feel the tuft and know my bullet is just under the skin. I can not wait to see what this bullet looks like and I first cut it from her hide and it performed perfectly.

F Doe.jpg

F Bullet .jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast